• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows will not boot into safe mode!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skeith

Ok so i got a new laptop and I wanted to just remove all the dell crap from it instead of reinstalling,.. mainly cause I cant find my xp pro cd.

Anyway I removed all the partitions but the windows one and resized it. The I had to get rid of a stupid boot screen wich was coded into the system.ini file.
So i tried to edit it and buggered it up.

I booted up the XP recovery console on the supplied dell disk and recompiled the system.ini using a command for repairing boot files with a fast detecto or something or other. (Cant remember the exact command but if you need it I can find it out again :p)

Anyway,... windows boots, no crappy boot screen just fine.

So i wanted to put on a boot screen i just downloaded with the ntoskrnl.exe file wich requires a safe mode reboot. But the computer wont do safe mode!

It starts to show the screen where it shows the disk locations as it loads drivers and the screen goes black where it is about to load into windows and then the PC starts posting all over again. If I boot windows normaly it will boot fine but not in safe mode. Could this be somethign I did in the system.ini file to cayse this?

Any ideas?

GreenJelly said:
Can you boot it into safe mode listing what is beign loaded? Where does it fail?
I wish i could read it it goes way too fast, it seems to start with an "m" and is about 4 - 5 char long,.. it is a driver and is in the drivers directory. other than that I cant realy say a whole lot cause it is too fast to see.

I just dont understand how it crashes trying to boot safe mode but not a normal boot.

There is a way to approve each step of the load...

F8, and some options... I forget how too...

Mike

XP doesn't use the system.ini file; it's present only to provide some backwards compatibility with legacy apps that need it. Try performing a Selective Startup... Start | Run | Type msconfig, and click OK | "General" tab | Select "Selective Startup", and remove the checks from each item below the Selective Startup option | Click OK to restart your PC, and again try to enter Safe Mode.

If you can enter Safe Mode with all of the options unchecked in the Configuration Utility, then repeat the process but add one check back each time to the list of files listed under the "Selective Startup" menu.... and again see if you can enter Safe Mode. So you'll test under each of the following conditions...

1. Clear all checks
2. Process System.ini
3. Process Win.ini
4. Load System services
5. Load Startup Items

Wait, this is new to me...

MSconfig... is there another way to access this screen? I am interested if I know where to find these settings. There is a log file generated on each boot. Also go to the EVENTS log under Control Panel (classic view) -> Administration -> Events Log

What errors under system and applications do you have right after you boot and fail loading safe mode. You may clear these logs, then shut down the machine and boot up in safe mode. Record the time it starts booting, since log entries will be generate at the log-off.

Please report the Warnings and the Errors.

After this, we can always work on the eliminating the errors you receive when you normally boot up under windows. This can be tricky, but it makes things run faster and can teach allot about how windows runs. Also, for the hell of it... Download Hi-Jack this and post the log file.

Mike

Last edited:
use a program to change your boot screen
o under MSconfig/boot select/NOGUIBOOT that will remove the boot screen(but it will NOT show error message if boot fails)

Well Ill take a look at the selective boot thing. And yes the system.ini did have an effect on my system because it wouldent boot at all. It stayed at a black screen. After I re compiled it it worked.

Well I tried the selective boot thing and nothing helped. I tried re compliling the boot.ini. Nothing. The thing is that Safe mode worked before I accidentally buggered up my system.ini I may have messed up my boot.ini too but I just repaired it and still nothing.

Try and remove any PCI cards not needed for the boot. See if this corrects the issue. Sometimes USB cards can cause this issue. Even HiD drivers can give the issue. It is a driver issue for sure. So find out what device is giving issue.

If this does not get it going. Then try a chkdsk /r.

Last edited:
I still havent gotten any of the info I requested. Infact I would have saved you about 2 posts and allot of time if you provided the info.

Im not hurt, just want to save you trouble and help.

Do me a personal favor, and google Mup.sys and read it...

This is how you start to learn about the depths of the systems we use. In fact, I dont know what Mup.sys does... but I am about to google it myself.

Well I did search up Mup.sys in google and I cant find anything. PS. just so you know just because somone hasnt mentioned they googled it doesn't mean they didnt.

I already tried a diskcheck etc. Should I try rewriting the MBR with recovery console or would I risk bricking the windows install?

No I do not have anything plugged into it. No USB adaptors etc.
I do not have any PCIMCA cards in it. I have even tried disableing the WiFi adaptor. Still nothing.

I dont know if it matters but the laptops specs are

Core 2 Duo 1.66Ghz
1GB ram
120GB Sata Hard drive
Soundblaster HD sound card
256MB Ati radion x1400 mobile -16x PCIE
Broadcom 440x 10/100 ethernet. -enabled but not in use-
Intel Wireless 3945ABG WiFi
onboard SD/MMC/SDD etc. card reader

I am still having issues. So just randmomly it stoped restarting, however it now hangs at mup.sys. So i booted recovery console and disabled mup.
Now it gets to 1394BUS.sys and hangs.

I checked the ntlog file in windows root before and after I disabled mup, it all the drivers list loaded untill it gets to ACPI multiprocessor this one it says did not load. So could there be perhaps a glitch with the ACPI support for the new core2duo's?

Should I turn off ACPI and power management in my bios?

Are there any bios settings that should be disabled?

I read things saying that disableing USB, modems, etc would help but nothing changed anything.

Does anyone have any ideas at all?

"MUP stands for "Multiple UNC Provider" which assists Windows in locating resources when more than one redirector is on a machine such as "Microsoft Client for Microsoft Networks" and the "Novell Client for Novell Netware". - Thanks to some random .nu forum

That aside, I don't think it is either mup.sys, or the firewire driver that is hanging your machine.

I would recommend two things.

One, try Safe mode with command prompt too, and also Last known good configuration. If those don't work, then:

Reboot one last time, and then reboot using the recovery console, copy C:\windows\ntbtlog.txt (or c:\winnt\) and post the contents in this thread.

I would say that you either have registry corruption, or a corrupted / incompatible driver. The driver is more likely.

Also, you can still boot normally, just not into safe mode?

Yes i could still boot normaly, thats why I was being stumped. Too late now, It crashed and I reinstalled it.

Its working now.

Apparently the CD dell gave me was an actuall Winxp OEM with nothing more than a dell label on it. Its not borked or modified in any way.

They did however put the wrong driver disc in the box so I had to download all the drivers off of the internet.

Alright the problem is back. I thought is was because I replaced the ntoskrnl.exe with a different one to change the boot screen but when I copied the original back to the system with recovery console nothing changed.

Just like before it let me into safe mode once before it went kaput. I dont get it at all. Noone I talk to can figure it out either.

I even ran sfc /scannow to check for system file integrity and it all checked out fine so I am completely at a loss.

GreenJelly said:
Wait, this is new to me...

MSconfig... is there another way to access this screen? I am interested if I know where to find these settings. There is a log file generated on each boot. Also go to the EVENTS log under Control Panel (classic view) -> Administration -> Events Log

What errors under system and applications do you have right after you boot and fail loading safe mode. You may clear these logs, then shut down the machine and boot up in safe mode. Record the time it starts booting, since log entries will be generate at the log-off.

Please report the Warnings and the Errors.

After this, we can always work on the eliminating the errors you receive when you normally boot up under windows. This can be tricky, but it makes things run faster and can teach allot about how windows runs. Also, for the hell of it... Download Hi-Jack this and post the log file.

Mike

...waiting...

If you want answers you got to provide information

Back