• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

frustrated... with windvd and purevideo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

OK well i have a trial copy of both purevideo and windvd 7... as 7 supports nvidias purvideo DECODER. i have seen many people reporting that when they play a dvd with windvd 7 and have purevideo installed that the purevideo decoder starts and displays an icon in the tray down by the clock. the only way i can get the icon to come up is by using Windows media player to play a dvd... but WMP is HORRIBLE for navigating dvd's so i would like to use windvd with purevideo... does anyone have any expierence with this?

Maybe try VLC media player? I use it to play my DVD's and it seems to work great, never tried it with NV decoder but this program is so open I'm sure it would work.

Shelnutt2 said:
Maybe try VLC media player? I use it to play my DVD's and it seems to work great, never tried it with NV decoder but this program is so open I'm sure it would work.
Well I played that opening sequence in LOL II where they pan along some rugged snow covered peaks and VLC was much choppier than WinDVD8 and the new nVidia drivers with PureVideo Technology. Don't get me wrong as VLC is a fine FREE player but Intervideo/
WinDVD8 is just better for ~$50 more.

I don't know what the deal with that flashing green light is about but I just look at the same scene with different players and look for the observable results.

Only PowerDVD utilizes the hardware decode from the nVidia PV drivers. WinDVD uses software decode from the driver. WMP uses that purchased codec plugin and that's what causes the little green flashing systray light.

Last edited:
Audioaficionado said:
Well I played that opening sequence in LOL II where they pan along some rugged snow covered peaks and VLC was much choppier than WinDVD8 and the new nVidia drivers with PureVideo Technology. Don't get me wrong as VLC is a fine FREE player but Intervideo/
WinDVD8 is just better for ~$50 more.

I don't know what the deal with that flashing green light is about but I just look at the same scene with different players and look for the observable results.

Only PowerDVD utilizes the hardware decode from the nVidia PV drivers. WinDVD uses software decode from the driver. WMP uses that purchased codec plugin and that's what causes the little green flashing systray light.

problem is with WMP and purevideo i get weird brightness changest during the entire movie... Windvd8 and Powerdvd both utlize the hardware acceleration of purevideo but they use their own codecs.. they can offload the mpeg 2 decodign to the gpu which is very good at doing so... i think i may just get windvd 8 and forget about it.

Back