• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump choices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pyrotechnic

I'm looking for something that's going to be able pump water through a faily large heater core and a distribution block going to a CPU block and a GPU block while giving me good flow rates. I know the Eheim 1250 that I've been using for so long could easily handle this, but I was wondering if there were any other newer pumps around that would give me similar performance, noise, and reliability in a smaller pakage ?

The Eheim though...i've been running it for 4 years 24/7 and it's been pretty quiet and very reliable, not to mention I bought it used in the first place so it saw some use before I got it.

Pyrotechnic said:
I'm looking for something that's going to be able pump water through a faily large heater core and a distribution block going to a CPU block and a GPU block while giving me good flow rates. I know the Eheim 1250 that I've been using for so long could easily handle this, but I was wondering if there were any other newer pumps around that would give me similar performance, noise, and reliability in a smaller pakage ?

The Eheim though...i've been running it for 4 years 24/7 and it's been pretty quiet and very reliable, not to mention I bought it used in the first place so it saw some use before I got it.

That sounds like an awesome pump...not sure why you want to change it. Then again its had it use for a while so you might be worried its life?

Anyway, the Swiftech pump mentioned is what everyone is reccomending. I just got one myself.

MCP655 $75 - Adjustable flow can usually be turned down for almost silent operation
DDC-2 w/modded top $100 - Virtually silent and slightly smaller than the MCP655

But I'm not sure I'd change pumps if you're happy with the one you have ... :shrug:

Well the reason for change is, I'm building an ENTIRELY new system. If you look at the desktop system in my sig, thats the reason why. Everything is so dated in that system. Upgrading would mean replacing EVERYTHING besides the 200GB data drive. I'd have to get a new water block or adapt my Swiftech MCW462 to fit a LGA775 or an AM2 socket depending what my final decision for a system is.

Not to mention, the case is about 6 years old and it's even the case I built my first computer in. I've been very happy with it in it's current setup, I just think it's a little dated looking to put a Core 2 Duo or a AM2, not to mention the extreme overhaul I'd have to do it. My plan is to leave my current system intact and design and start clean sheet with an entirely new and further improved system.

I'm just ready to try something new and tackle watercooling in a new case. I've pretty much decided on getting an Antec P180.

I'm prepared to buy another Eheim 1250 if I dont see anything better. Just wanted to see if there was possibly anything newer or better since I'm going to be buying all new stuff.

depending on how large is that "fairly large" HC and how restrictive it is with the addition of all the block you might want to climb the ladder up to the Iwaki's but that would require a very restrictive setup...

Pyrotechnic said:
Well the reason for change is, I'm building an ENTIRELY new system. If you look at the desktop system in my sig, thats the reason why. Everything is so dated in that system. Upgrading would mean replacing EVERYTHING besides the 200GB data drive. I'd have to get a new water block or adapt my Swiftech MCW462 to fit a LGA775 or an AM2 socket depending what my final decision for a system is.

Not to mention, the case is about 6 years old and it's even the case I built my first computer in. I've been very happy with it in it's current setup, I just think it's a little dated looking to put a Core 2 Duo or a AM2, not to mention the extreme overhaul I'd have to do it. My plan is to leave my current system intact and design and start clean sheet with an entirely new and further improved system.

I'm just ready to try something new and tackle watercooling in a new case. I've pretty much decided on getting an Antec P180.

I'm prepared to buy another Eheim 1250 if I dont see anything better. Just wanted to see if there was possibly anything newer or better since I'm going to be buying all new stuff.
I can understand those reasons - my old computers get passed down as I build new ones.

The MCP655 (aka D5) has a very reliable track record and is an industrial grade pump. AFAIK there has only been one failure reported and I'm not so sure that wasn't operator error. I own both the Swiftech pumps and personally feel more comfortable w/the MCP655 - it just feels like a more substantial pump, if you know what I mean ...

I just wonder if that seemingly small MCP655 pump could give me
1) quietier operation that Eheim 1250
2) more flow that Eheim 1250
:rolleyes:

After all, Eheim has the advantage of direct plugin into power outlet (I live in Europe, so 230V 50Hz is optimal for me) ...

But I had to fit it into such audiobox:

...to get reasonably quiet operation. How noisy is this suxxka on the fastest speed, of course? And does the higher head pressure save the day and give me higher flow? :confused:

The MCP655 (aka D5) is not at all loud but it is audible on P5, the highest setting. On P3, the mid-point setting, it's almost silent. You will get much more head and flow with P5 but I think you'll find it won't make enough of a difference in your temps to change the OC. My guess is most of our better pumps are that way but since they're not adjustable we just don't know it ... ;)

Back