• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just finished building my first w/c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyreal

Today I setup my first watercooling system.

Components:
Swiftech Storm
Swiftech MCP655
Black Ice GT Stealth 240
1/2 vinyl tubing
2 Panaflo NMB-MAT 68.9 cfm 30dba

Loop: pump > storm > rad > t-line

Coolant: Distilled water with some Finning Universal Engine Coolant/Antifreeze and a few drops of provodone iodine.

PC Hardware:
Athlon 64 X2 3800+
MSI K8N Neo4 SLI Platinum
1 GB DC ram
36 gb raptor
320 gb Seagate 7200.10
XFX 7800GT
Neo HE 500w

Although I didn't want to use vinyl tubing, it was cheap and readily available. If I can get some nice masterkleer or tygon tubing then I will buy it and switch out the tubing when I get a maze 4. I'm mainly looking for silence and it seems like this rig is going to be pretty quiet.

I'm actually on it right now and the temps seem a little off. I used the included thermal paste with the storm. According to the instructions, its Arctic Silver Ceramique. My temps, according to Core Temp, is 46C/38C at 100% load on both cores using FAH. Can you tell me if this sounds about right?

stock. 1.35.

temps have lowered. According to Speedfan: 42c
45c/38c - Core Temp.

I was playing around with the potentiometer on the D5. No matter what setting I put it at, temps remain the same.

If you've just put it together the TIM hasn't set yet, when it sets your temps will come down. Note that Ceramique takes a few on/off cycles to cure completely so shut the computer down at night for the next few days if you can.

As for the P settings on the pump, there is very little difference in my system between a single pump @ P3 and both pumps @ P5 - ~2°C on the CPU. Also, it takes time for the temps to change with water - lots of thermal mass there to overcome. Try changing the setting then wait 10-15 min for the temps to balance out ...

Its possible your sensor is a little screwy too but that seems like an about right temp for a dual core. how hot is it in your house? is the air coming off your rad warm?
nothing wrong with cheap vinyl tubing either. for a firsttimer, its kinda a waste to buy tygon ect since your will probably pull it appart a few times to get everything just right.

Congrats though. welcome to the Darkside.

hahahaha.

Its possible your sensor is a little screwy too but that seems like an about right temp for a dual core. how hot is it in your house? is the air coming off your rad warm?
nothing wrong with cheap vinyl tubing either. for a firsttimer, its kinda a waste to buy tygon ect since your will probably pull it appart a few times to get everything just right.

Congrats though. welcome to the Darkside.

It's possible that it could be a bit screwy. The house itself is pretty chilly. It's cool this time of year in Vancouver. The air going into the rad is room temp, it's from outside the case. The case sidepanel is also open, I don't know if that will affect temps at all.

QuietIce said:
:eek: I don't see any Intels here ...

lol

And this thread it good I've read this and the sticky at the top about the basics of water cooling and now I'm really starting to thin about doing it.

Back