• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AACS Hacked? No surprise here.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbigna

Coming soon to a torrent near you--

Hacker claims to have cracked AACS (the Digital Restrictions Management encryption) used by both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061229/wr_nm/dvds_hacker_dc_2

I guess the half-billion dollars spent (collectively by all the media producers) on protecting their HD content just got entirely flushed down the toilet.

Just think of how many blockbuster movies could have been made with that kind of money (and how much more money they would have MADE if they hadn't wasted it all on copy protection).

Oh, well... Corporate Luddites seem to never learn. It won't matter anyway--by the time any GOOD movies are released in HD [and yes, that is why only B grade movies have been released in HD because the studio heads were afraid that the good stuff would be too easily copied--yet another nail in the coffin for HD content], we'll all have fiber to our doorsteps and ordering movies for instant viewing on demand for much less than the price of a blank HD disk anyway.

Yes, it's true--I predicted these events years ago.

I am not sure this is a hack but believe it is more of a work around.
It allows you to with the encryption key backup your HD-DVD movies but does not provide the keys.

aftermath said:
I am not sure this is a hack but believe it is more of a work around.
It allows you to with the encryption key backup your HD-DVD movies but does not provide the keys.
...and that too is only a matter of time.

Yep. It wont be long before someone makes software for ripping HD content. I don't think the big corps will be able to out hack the hackers.

Back