• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yeah, Yeah... Mini R120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mhiner

Before you guys blast me about packaged set ups and how this thing is junk... I spent a lot of time reading these posts and I rather enjoy doing mods and things myself, but the idea of putting water around electric scared the crap out of me so I thought that I would give this Cooler Master setup a whirl. I like many of you have multiple computers so once I get over the fear I will probably want to build something custom and move the mini to one of the others. However in saying that, I really love this little monster. I know that it has 1/4" tubing but it knocked 16 degrees out of my cpu (under full load) from a lapped cnps9500 (core temps remained equal). Not only that but it was a perfect fit inside my P180 in the front with a push pull setup with two 120's and I was able to get another 130mhz out of my lapped cpu. I did not lap the mini when it came, however I will be doing that soon. I know that I'm the noob at water cooling but this is fun, I should have went ahead and did a custom, but for $62 bucks from newegg it was definitely worth it.

Michael
DSCN2941a.jpg

DSCN2942a.jpg

DSCN2946a.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah...I said the same thing a while back.

Now...not even 4 months after I bought my first WC kit (Swiftech 120 Premium), I got a new pump, res, rad, fans, and a new case all coming in, because I found it to be fun :). My wife hates my new hobby hehe.

You know in mentioning the wife, I think mine is just happy I'm not bugging her. I have no idea what my obsession is with this thing... Its like I need to benchmark high so I can play solitaire faster and check my email at light speed. I tried lapping my cpu and heatsink a month or two ago and got like 6 degrees F out of it but then I kept trying to get more... I really like the Asetek xternal setup but I think that I would like to build my own as well. What components do you currently use with your water setup?

Michael

Gigabyte makes rather good kits overall. They're not wonderful but they'd be my pick out of TT and other tier two brands.

I was thinking of doing something fun, like the following loop. 120 radiator to pump to CPU to 120 radiator to GPU1 to 120 radiator to GPU2. That way each processor had a radiator in the loop prior to itself, or doing something like a double radiator to CPU to single radiator then split two 1/4 lines with one running to each GPU then bringing them back into one 3/8 before they to back to the double radiator. Any suggestions?

Also since you live in LA do you ever come over to Pomona for the NHRA race @ the fair grounds?

Michael

Back