• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oem versus retail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anothermbdusted

someone please tell me the differnces between oem and retail on a XP system? can i install it on both my computers or am i suppose to buy 2 differnt copies? would they both get updates if installed on both of them? thanks

If you are talking about getting upgraded from XP to Vista, you can only do that with retail, not oem. There is no difference between retail and oem, cept oem is way cheaper then retail. You're suppose to use only 1 copy per computer.

anothermbdusted said:
someone please tell me the differnces between oem and retail on a XP system? can i install it on both my computers or am i suppose to buy 2 differnt copies? would they both get updates if installed on both of them? thanks

OEM: No tech support from Microsoft, get support from the installer of the product, which is you.

Retail: Microsoft will provide tech support.

Common to OEM and Retail: Install the product on only one machine per licence. If you have two machines, buy two copies.

OEM: buy new MB as upgrade, might not be allowed to install the WIN XP as the OEM version is only for one computer EVER.
RETAIL: Can upgrade all you want (may need to call in to activate)

ok well i dont need tech support.so oem sounds like a good way to get it for cheaper and on newegg they only show that free upgrade to vista via the OEM style. I was looking at the media center edition cause you can get a free upgrade to vista premium for only like 20$..
but i do plan on upgrading the motherboard in the future so i guess the retail is what i need then?

oem vs retail. Upgrading the mobo in the future is not an issue involved in this decision in my opinion. The licence is for a single use, each version has the same rights other than the tech support.

Upgrade a part and reinstall with no problems using either version, although you may have to call for an activation (true with either version)

oh ok. so now i guess the only question that i have is: does the coupon that comes with the OS for Vista upgrade only available if you purchase a new PC or can you have a existing one and just install it onto it?whats the catch to getting it for free?

Back