• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800 dlx SATA port question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

I'm fixing to wipe and reload this computer and my question is are the SATA ports available without the RAID function? Can I attached additional harddrives to the RAID SATA ports w/o setting up the F6 function during Windows load. I'm going to use this just as a home network server and want to connect large capacity drives, but not in a RAID as I want to keep the data accessible in case of a drive failure.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

hi'
no, because tou need to turn raid on in bios and at boot the bios will tell that it can't find a raid array ...
pity, on this board ony 2 sata, and the rais ones +2.
why nor mount your system a s raid and add others on sata plug?

francois

If Your mb is similar to my p4p800 deluxe then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to mount the sata drives as JBOD , just a bunch of discs. Read the motherboards manual, if You don't have it, get it from Asus website.
It will tell You how to set up the sata as JBOD. That is how I have a
320gig sata and 120gig sata, and 200gig ide and 80gig ide drives on my system,
none of which are in raid mode.

imperiousleader said:
If Your mb is similar to my p4p800 deluxe then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to mount the sata drives as JBOD , just a bunch of discs. Read the motherboards manual, if You don't have it, get it from Asus website.
It will tell You how to set up the sata as JBOD. That is how I have a
320gig sata and 120gig sata, and 200gig ide and 80gig ide drives on my system,
none of which are in raid mode.

Can you access the data on each disk individually and will the data be intact in the event of a system crash, easily retreivable?

I have the P4C800"E"-Dlx model, and it has the Promise Controller (yours is likely simular). This can operate in RAID or SATA mode. You need to set it to "SATA" mode (or is it "IDE" Mode?) in the BIOS, and then use the SATA DRIVER for Windows. Works like independant drives.

Are you using the primary SATA Southbridge Ports first (not the "RAID" labelled ports)? The Southbridge SATA ports are what you want for your OS Drive, and should not need any drivers with XP-SP1 or higher. The "RAID" ports are located on the PCI bus and controlled by a seperate chip, and will require special drivers...

The only time you need F6 drivers is if you are installing the OS on the Drive that needs a special driver. If it is just a Data drive, you can install the drivers after you install the OS (OS on the Southbridge SATA Ports).

:cool:

Back