• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-965P-DS3 Rev 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jph1589

Disabled
I had a Rev 1 of this board for about 3 months and it died during one of its famous start stop start stop overclock reset fiascos. The bios fried itself and nothing would fix it. Do I RMA'd it to Newegg and got a replacement Rev2 board 2 days ago. You can see in my sig what i've had in it. I installed it and thought I was on the road to a stable board until.......

Last night while testing different memory multipliers, I had the FSB at 900 and was doing some testing. I put the memory on 2.5 which I believe is a 4:5 ratio. I saved out of the bios and it turned off like a bad overclock. It turned back on and off about 6 times, each time saying it was recovering the bios. It would stay on about 5 seconds and then turn off again. Then it just turned off.

When i turned it on, the bios was gone. No combination of clear cmos, removing battery, booting with only one memory stick and video, clearing cmos again, removing battery again, shorting the battery connections, Nothing worked.

It won't post ...........nothing on the screen...........and it wont flash from a diskette except through qflash and you can't get to that without posting.

So this piece of crap is back in the box and there will never be another GB board in my machine. I have my trusty C19-A SLI back in with all the same components and it is perfect. So it wasn't my components that did this.

Buy someone elses board.

I am on my 3rd board from the egg. First 2 were revision 1 boards. First one blew a Mosfet, with an E6300 @ 3.2ghz. Second one blew a chip under the socket while it wasn't OC'd at all. This 3rd one is a Rivision 2 board & have had it for 2-1/2 Months with a E6400 chugging along 8X425FSB 3.2 ghz on Bios F7. I had read of problems with the F8 & F9 Bios that sounds similar, but you may have blown a mosfet too.
I have built several systems with Gigabyte boards and this particular one has been a major pain & will be may Last from them too.

SlackAdjuster

I'm done with the OC

I'm done overclocking. I had a couple of people tromp on me pretty hard yesterday on other forums saying that I killed it myself and i shouldn't whine about it LOL. It was a major eye opener for me. All my water cooling stuff is going up for sale on ebay tonight. I'm done with the whole thing. Same ID on ebay if you are interested.

I am pretty proficient overclocking especially AMD stuff. Right now I don't see a stellar board right now for the C2D stuff, everyone out there has their quirks. I see your point on giving up. Came close on this board several times. I am thinking of retiring it to the Kids PC & trying a RD600 or 680i when more options(cheaper cards) on the DX10 cards come out.

SlackAdjuster

Back