• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Parts recommandation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nodiaque

Registered
Hi, I was wondering, without looking at the price, what brand do you consider a good one and which one a bad one.

As for myself, you could call me a thermaltake guy because I heard good stuff from them and I bought mostly all my cooling gear from then, specially my wc ones. But I wonder if it's good stuff I bough. I'm planning on checking all of the opinion and order them in price range like a part list. So a person who would like, lets say, a VGA Water Block for 65$ could have a rating of block on that price range.

thanks for participating

nodiaque said:
Hi, I was wondering, without looking at the price, what brand do you consider a good one and which one a bad one.

As for myself, you could call me a thermaltake guy because I heard good stuff from them and I bought mostly all my cooling gear from then, specially my wc ones. But I wonder if it's good stuff I bough. I'm planning on checking all of the opinion and order them in price range like a part list. So a person who would like, lets say, a VGA Water Block for 65$ could have a rating of block on that price range.

thanks for participating

You could read the sticky up top that will tell you the parts most people consider the best.

Personally I have had 2 people tell me bad things about Thermaltake's WC gear, and I have read on this forum the dislike of their WC products as well. I have never used them, so I cannot say. I can say it seems mass produced WC gear seems not so good when considering the bad things that can happen (i.e. leaking, and cracked blocks).

Personally, I love Swiftech. They where my intro to WC, and have a good record with me so far...as well as others.

You'll find that, in general, the people around here will tell you to stay away from Thermaltake water stuff. You can get much better performance for the price.

lokitexas said:
You could read the sticky up top that will tell you the parts most people consider the best.

True, honestly I kind of forgot about the sticky on top.

Something though, I'd like to make a guide with all the information that everyone has for every product they tested, rate the product, reliability, performance, etc. This would be available in pdf so can be readed by anyone on any computer. Also, it would include picture of the actual product.

What you think of that idea?

Problem is, for me, I can't really rate my stuff since it's the only parts I've tried. People really seems to dislike Thermaltake. I don't know if mine is an exception or simply because it seems to work well, with other product of same price, I might have better equipement. True that the pump is really bad though, only a 90LPH.

Thanks for sharing

lokitexas said:

Personally I have had 2 people tell me bad things about Thermaltake's WC gear, and I have read on this forum the dislike of their WC products as well. I have never used them, so I cannot say. I can say it seems mass produced WC gear seems not so good when considering the bad things that can happen (i.e. leaking, and cracked blocks).

Personally, I love Swiftech. They where my intro to WC, and have a good record with me so far...as well as others.

i second that

Swiftech and DTek are my personal favorites. It's hard to go wrong with what they make/sell.

those thermal take parts arn't that great. go and buy a tuniq tower and you'll see why we say this (you'll notice the temps are barley any different what so ever, and the tuniq is only 50 bucks)

you would need to total revamp your system to beat out a tuniq, with high powerd fans (80 cfm or more) + tuniq. air cooling is getting closer and closer to water, so its gotten to a point where its a very hard decision between Price-Performance-Silence

i personally went with silence and cheap. so ill probably only beat a tuniq by 5c-7c but it'll be completely silent because a tuniq is quite loud at full rpms

nodiaque said:
Something though, I'd like to make a guide with all the information that everyone has for every product they tested, rate the product, reliability, performance, etc. This would be available in pdf so can be readed by anyone on any computer. Also, it would include picture of the actual product.

This IS a good idea. Actually, it is a great idea. Aside from the PDF and picture part, it is the sticky. That is why the sticky at the top of the watercooling forums IS a sticky. I'm not sure when the last update to the sticky was, but it looked up to date when i last read it ~ a couple of weeks ago before i ordered the MCW60 for my vid card. Instead of having the pics in the thread, links are provided to the manufacturer/retailer sites. And anyone with an internet connection can see the sticky, provided they know it's here. And anyone that asks me face to face about my watercooling gets the quick and dirty description of my setup and an invite to come here and really get their feet "wet". Did you mean you wanted to be able to access this info without access to the internet? Don't get me wrong, it's a noble gesture to want to put forth the effort to put all that info into a single document, Lord knows I don't want to do it, but it kind of has been done. For all intents and purposes anyways. Not to mention, when someone at school does ask what i mean when i say my "desktop" is watercooled, it's an oportunity to have them come here and see what's up. Maybe they too will find that they'd like to push their comps a little... maybe even a lot.

Hopefully i didn't misunderstand your whole point.

alinosa said:
This IS a good idea. Actually, it is a great idea. Aside from the PDF and picture part, it is the sticky. That is why the sticky at the top of the watercooling forums IS a sticky. I'm not sure when the last update to the sticky was, but it looked up to date when i last read it ~ a couple of weeks ago before i ordered the MCW60 for my vid card. Instead of having the pics in the thread, links are provided to the manufacturer/retailer sites. And anyone with an internet connection can see the sticky, provided they know it's here. And anyone that asks me face to face about my watercooling gets the quick and dirty description of my setup and an invite to come here and really get their feet "wet". Did you mean you wanted to be able to access this info without access to the internet? Don't get me wrong, it's a noble gesture to want to put forth the effort to put all that info into a single document, Lord knows I don't want to do it, but it kind of has been done. For all intents and purposes anyways. Not to mention, when someone at school does ask what i mean when i say my "desktop" is watercooled, it's an oportunity to have them come here and see what's up. Maybe they too will find that they'd like to push their comps a little... maybe even a lot.

Hopefully i didn't misunderstand your whole point.

Nope you didn't misunderstand my point. Yes mostly everyone have access to internet, but imagine having a guide that you can check into your laptop, pocket pc or even your cell phone while you're in the bus? This guide telling you feedback from people who'm have tried it, how they like, picture of the actual piece and why not, an idea you just gave me, an apendix with picture of actual desktop running that piece (all piece would be numerated with comparison of before water cooling and after).

With all these info, the actual price on the last update, how much it cost for a recommended setup, a ranking on setup and parts with an addon to a browsing way to check pieces in price range and categories. Let's say you want a VGA Block less then 100$, well you check in those price range, all parts would be gathered there and you have all parts ordered in rating and price cost.

I'm thinking maybe of doing that on a wiki page instead so people can add there info when they want but with a wiki to pdf button so page can be converted into pdf for offline reading. So instead of downloading all the pdf, you simply have what you want.

What do you think of that idea?

alinosa said:
This IS a good idea. Actually, it is a great idea. Aside from the PDF and picture part, it is the sticky. That is why the sticky at the top of the watercooling forums IS a sticky.

I understand what's a sticky, I'm new here but not in forums. But the problem with sticky in a forum, you want to check review on vga block, you have to go through all pages searching for VGA Block.

It's a good idea, but here how it should be done for ease of use:
A sub category named something like "Sticky Parts Comparison"
In that sub category, sticky topic for each parts, i.e. "VGA Water Block"
After that, you get this in each topics for each reply:

"Parts Name"
"Part Model"
"Company"
"Rating"
"Description"
"Specifications"
"Comments"
"Price (average)"

From there, people could discuss about them if they which, but onto another topic, not in those specific one. Starting from that, it's already easier to find information about specific parts and not going through 60 pages (ok, there's only 7, for now) of discution on parts and having some on stickys that aren't important for what you want.

Don't know if you get me on that, I'm not trying to change the forum, I simply think that it's could be easier for anybody this way.

The idea of putting all that together for off-line viewing isn't a bad idea, but it is a LARGE undertaking. If that is something you're willing to do, good on ya. Realistically, it would probably only need periodic updating, say whenever a new part came out. It's just a massive collection of info that, honestly, can be had if the person seeking it is willing to put in the keyboard time. And in this day and age, even I have internet access on my phone. If you decide to do this, please link to it here so that we can check it out. I'll even contribute what I can about my parts. :)

At the very least, you'll learn about the parts covered, right?

PS i didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what a sticky was, i was just stressing the fact that it had been stuck for a reason.

alinosa said:
The idea of putting all that together for off-line viewing isn't a bad idea, but it is a LARGE undertaking. If that is something you're willing to do, good on ya. Realistically, it would probably only need periodic updating, say whenever a new part came out. It's just a massive collection of info that, honestly, can be had if the person seeking it is willing to put in the keyboard time. And in this day and age, even I have internet access on my phone. If you decide to do this, please link to it here so that we can check it out. I'll even contribute what I can about my parts. :)

At the very least, you'll learn about the parts covered, right?

I'm willing to do this. Only problem is that I have nothing to test the parts myseld so I'll have to take everything from other website, magazines and from people like you who will post his feedback.

For the update process, I'll keep an eye weekly on that for sure, but I think that's the idea of the wiki way, if new stuff got out before I'm making the update, people can write about it on the wiki, dedicate a page like on wikipedia and with the pdf maker, anyone can get what they need. Alot of coding though, since I never worked with wiki but hey, always have time to learn!

PS i didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what a sticky was, i was just stressing the fact that it had been stuck for a reason

don't worry, I didn't take it hard. Just that more then one person said to me that and I never replied. Also, to be honest, I just remember that the post time is not the edit time so when I check the first post of the sticky topic, I though it was updated from the post date... My bad here.

Back