• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator size

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ice k16v

Greetings!

I'm trying to choose an efficient radiator setup to handle a P4 930 and a X1900XTX (a quick google search got me a 95W figure for the CPU and 120W for the GPU, both under load, non overclocked).

Since they're both a tad heavy on the heat dissipation I am planning to use a dual radiator configuration (CPU»Rad1»GPU»Rad2), room is not an issue since they will be placed outside the box. Some more browsing and I decided to go with a couple BlackICE Stealth's with low-rpm fans for a "silent" setup.

That said, I'm having a hard time deciding on the radiators' size. Will two 240mm (dual) be enough? Or even 120mm? I see some people use the triple version for the CPU alone, is that much required?

Apologies in advance if any of these questions sound noobish :)

While it makes sense that bigger is better, there will certainly be a point where diminishing returns will kick in. Each block having its dedicated radiator, will the triple version be noticeable better than the dual? The price difference is around 25€ (some $33) so if the improvement is something like 1ºC I'd rather go for the cheaper option, if you know what I mean ;)

Please note that I have little knowledge on the subject, and that's why I have no idea of the expected improvement between the three versions.

BTW, would it be viable to stack the radiators and use just three fans for both, or is that a no-no?

Thanks!

A triple rad will provide all the cooling you need. Two radiators is not going to better your temps as a triple can more than handle that heat load anyway, and dual rads just adds more tubing. I would get the MCR320 over any of the Black Ice products as they perform better (per Marci's testing over on XS) even with lower cfms.

Should I not be concerned that the water going into the GPU block is heated by the CPU then? Because that is the only reason for the additional radiator.

I used a 2X120mm rad with my old 940 setup and the same rad with my current E6600. If you also have a GPU block in the loop, a 3X120mm should be fine.

ice k16v said:
Should I not be concerned that the water going into the GPU block is heated by the CPU then? Because that is the only reason for the additional radiator.
Water temps are almost the same throughout a loop so it's not a problem ...

Back