• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram speed for P5B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

V8Titan

Registered
I'm planning on picking up a P5B in the very near future along with an E6600. What RAM speed would you all suggest so that I don't hit a wall when OC'ing full bore?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Get the P5B-Deluxe if you want the highest possible overclock. The board does have a 4/5 divider problem so either 1/1 or 2/3 will give good overclocks. Get the highest rated memory that you can afford. Corsair, Crucial, OCZ, etc all make great ram and everybody will have a different opinion what is best. For me I prefer GSkill and CellShock. Look for sticks produced with the Micron chips for the highest possible OC.

PC6400 and up will be enough. With E6600 and pc6400 memory, the oc would be like 3.6ghz with 1:1 ratio. Cpu might or might not reach fsb 400 but memory will.

I have the P5B deluxe motherboard with the Conroe 6400 cpu overclocked to 2.72 (8X340). I haven't changed the memory ratio because I don't know how and don't see anything in the BIO's to change ratio. I have 2 1gig sticks of Corsair PC8500 1066 5 5 5 15. Can someone advise on bios setup with this memory to reach atleast 3 gigs.

thanks
Chivas

Well, as far as I know the DDR2-800 RAM runs at 400MHz, thus if you run your RAM at 1:1 with a stock e6600 (FSB 233MHz) your RAM will need to be underclocked down to 233 to get 1:1. Thus if you OC your proc to 400MHz FSB then regular DDR2-800 RAM will run at 1:1.

Right?

So no need to buy higher speed RAM unless you plan on dropping your multiplier to 6x and running at FSB 500MHz+.

Back