• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5W-DH MCH Overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Llew

Registered
Hello all,

My northbridge gets so hot on my P5W-DH that it actually burned me. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this? Any suggestions for what I can do to fix this problem? I was wondering if removing the shinny copper cover from the heat sink would improve airflow a significant amount and thus lower the temps? Is there any after market solution that would work?

Have you tried just putting some AS5 on it (be sure to apply it as directed)?

They do get hot, the fact that it is hot means your getting good thermal conduction off the core onto the heatsink. I would say you need to pull the cover off and get some airflow onto it. A side panel case fan is the best way to go. Im not sure why ASUS went with form over function when they slapped that cover on the heatsink. I pulled mine off shortly after buying my board.

yeah sidepanel fan would work, but I would hate to cut wholes in my V1000 case. Was thinking of getting a Thermalright HR-05 to put on the northbridge, and then using separate sinks on the VRMS at the back of the board. Opinions?

take the stupid cover thing off... put as5 on it and skrew a 40mm fan to it... a 40mm fan at 7 volts got my p5w dh NB to 445fsb with max voltage and the hs was only gettin to about 120*F... the stock cooling is good when paired with a 40mm fan and as5.

Back