• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows SECRET files.... i dont get it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

I wanted to view my windows folder today and it said something like "You should not modify the contents. do you wish to proceed?

i said yes and i viewed the files.

Im wondering if i should have or not.
I never had any problems with the OS so far, and now im worried that by viewing the files i just opened my system up for headaches.....idk why i even did it, i just wanted to make sure a file that was there was suppose to be.

Has anyone else ever viewed the windows files and proceeded to click ok when that blue screen warning tells you not to modify anything (not a bsod but just a blueish screen that shows up covering the files.

why would you need to view those files after a format? shouldn't it be all normal.

So it's kind of just a warning to let people know if you mess around deleting stuff you will be in trouble but if you dont touch anything or only do stuff thats correct nothing bad will happen?

All i did was view a file or 2. So im good?

Zatrix said:
why would you need to view those files after a format? shouldn't it be all normal.

So it's kind of just a warning to let people know if you mess around deleting stuff you will be in trouble but if you dont touch anything or only do stuff thats correct nothing bad will happen?

All i did was view a file or 2. So im good?

alot of expierenced xp users tweak ther OS by editing system files. i no i change alot in there. the warning is just to slow the less expirenced down and make them slow down abit... to scare em off i suppose..

Yeah, it is just a warning that there won't be any files in there that you need. As long as you don't go deleting or changing them you are good.

I always get that out of the way when I do a fresh install. Mostly just because there are files there that you can use if you know what you are doing. You won't hurt anything by clicking that warning away. Just make sure if you do go in there you know what you are doing and have a plan.

It's an idiot barrier. Basicly if it scares you off you prbly don't know enough to be looking around in there. That being said, if it doesn't scare you off, looking really shouldn't break anything.

You wouldn't normally see the "These files are hidden. This folder contains files that keep your system working properly. You should not modify its contents" message if the "Display contents of system folders" option was checked, under Tools | Folder Options | "View" tab --> Files and Folders.

Back