• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista by default as XP won't work anymore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
XP won't work anymore

Well I'm not sure what the hardware/BIOS/whatever issues are but XP refuses to run on my Xeon duallie anymore.

When I select my Raptor (it ran XP for over 2 years) as first boot HD, the XP install CD fails just after the hardware/system check. It just black screens.

When I select another non bootable drive/array the CD loads and goes through the first part of the install of copying all the installation files to the Raptor since it can't see the mirror RAID arrays. They're on the Raptor as I can see them when I dual boot into Vista on my one bootable array.

After XP reboots it fails and says that the hal.dll is corrupted or missing. I replaced it with a known good copy off a working XP system and still the same message. Even with a blank partition, the install CD fails if the Raptor is selected as the first HD.

Vista didn't have any issues with the Raptor or CD drive and installed just fine. After I finished installing Vista, I tried to reboot with the XP install CD (original and integrated) and it still fails at the same point. These CDs successfully installed XP before on the Xeon duallie and on different computers.

The most recent XP installation was working fine until it just woudn't reboot last Saturday. FIXMBR didn't do any good and FIXBOOT overwrote the file system tables and effectively killed the installation. R-Studio was able to completely find and salvage all the files and folders which I then backed up to another drive\folder.

There are no error messages about the Raptor in Vista or CHKDSK during the XP install process. It's all good according to both XP and Vista.

So unless I figure out how to get XP to work again, it looks like I'll be buying a copy of Vista Ultimate real soon. :shrug:

Anyone else have some more ideas on this issue? I've been seeing several posts where others can't get their XP install CDs to work either. I've tried several of varying slipstream updates and they all do the same thing.

Last edited:
Back