• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a 6mm ID loop - help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R B Customs

Hi there,
i need to cool 4 banks of OCZ Flex RAM, the barbs on the RAM blocks are for 6mm ID tubing ( like the old thermal take coolers )

now, i will need a pump that i can change the barbs on, so that rules out the cheaper options, and leaves me with things like the DDC plexi etc,
those pumps are still an option, but im a tad worried pumps like the DDC will be over powered for the small bore, high restriction blocks, and may reduce the life span of the pump.

cheap pumps, like the thermal take ones are not really an option either. this loop must be reliable... no leaks :)

does anyone have any insight, or thoughts to this.

please dont post back flaming telling me not to cool RAM etc please ~:0

Cheers
Rick

Edit ** there will also be a maze 4 northbridge cooler in here aswell, going through a PA120.2 Rad . . all 6mm ID tubing

You could always put them all in parallel. They probably won't need that much flow since water is plenty to cool anyhow. DDC would be perfect, and I doubt that the 6mm will be more restrictive than a Storm, but I'm talking out of my arse here since I've got no numbers to go by.

Maviryk said:
You could always put them all in parallel. They probably won't need that much flow since water is plenty to cool anyhow. DDC would be perfect, and I doubt that the 6mm will be more restrictive than a Storm, but I'm talking out of my arse here since I've got no numbers to go by.

yea, they have to be on a sepperate loop,
theres 2x 8800's, a cpu, north bridge, and 4 banks of RAM, a double rad, and a tripple rad... see where im coming from now ?

and yes, good poin, a storm is very restrictive, but im still concerned that the pump isnt gonna like it very much. :O

cheers
Rick

If you are running separate loops, why not look for some of the European low flow pump setups from Germany or such. Their pumps are geared for small ID low flow setups.

i've ordered a DDC for now, it was the only pump from the supplier where i could change the barbs... just need to find some 6mm barbs now :O

i was looking at the Danger Den MAG II aswell, but that seems almost impossible to get ahold of in the UK.

i suppose i can count on the DDC being reliable, i just wanted to check if there would be any issues with damaging the pump due to restriction.

thanks for the input :)

if you are that worried about the pumps, you could run more than one in series and increase your pressure that way as well. Could you post a pic of your rig when you get it all sorted out? all that hardware has got me very interested.

Back