• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP Pro SP2 Installed... then screwed-up. Format or Fix?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

Hello-

I had changed hard drives on my home computer for my mom and installed windows, got the network running, and then everything updated. The problem was that the boot drive letter was H not C. I wanted to leave it as is, but then my dad read a KB article from Microsoft on how to change the letter. He tried it, and now the computer starts, arrive at the logon prompt, enter PW and click login, then am automatically logged off.

Is there a way to get into regedit to change the registry setting back to the previous drive letter? Or do I have to format and redo everything again? Please help ASAP Thank you.

OK I found something I think.

I can safe mode to dos, then type "REG query HKLM\system\mounteddevices"

I just need to figure out how to change the key from drive C back to Drive F.

OK, guess I can't get into DOS on the computer, and can't use this command from the windows recovery console. Anyone else have some ideas besides formatting?

Well I just reformatted the drive and reinstalled a few things. There really wasn't that much to install since I reformatted a few days prior. But thank you for showing my that KB article. I am sure I will need to reference it in the future.

Back