• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!!! pRoblem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XZit

I've been having this issue after I installed winxp pro sp1.
I got a new hard rive for x-mas--my old one had a corrupt sector and was messed up--I yanked it out and decided to start completely from new.
So I put in the new hard rive, did the reformatting (complete) and reinstalled windows xp pro.
Anyhow I did the windows/microsoft upgrades to upgrade it to 2.0 and now when I boot up the computer it says "cannot find boot.ini file, booting from c:/windows) and it boots up normally after that.
However the computers running kinda buggy--I've scanned for viruses/all kinds of stuff with various programs and nothings detected....maybe I should reformat the harddrive agian and reinstal windows--but not worry about upgrading?
Seems that upgrading ****ed my computer up!! lol

pz

The boot.ini file is easily fixed... Go to your C:\ directory and go into your folder settings, then change the folder settings to show you system files.

Can someone please type "notepad c:\boot.ini" copy the text and post it here... (I dont have access on this computer to the file... doh)

Then XZit, you can use this same text and put it in the boot.ini file. If their is no "boot.ini" then create one.

As for your other problems... You must first go to control pannel, classic view, administrator tools, event viewer, system section... Then take a reported error, google it, and try to fix it with the info you get. If you get stuck on a error then post it here, and maybe I can help you with it... though I may not be around for a few days.

After solving a bunch of problems... clear the log, and restart the computer... check the log again, and work on the ones that show up.

You may also want to go to the application section and go through the same process.

Most error messages are solved with some easy research with google... It requires a bit of research, and confidence... maybe a bit of registry or other system tools that you've never seen... but its well worth it... you get to make sure your system is working perfectly, and you gain confident that your system is perfect. Eventually you learn the processes that are running in Task Manager, and you pay very close attention to the details.

Currently I do not run a virus scanner nor a spyware scanner. I am very carefull and have been doing the above for a very long time. In doing so, Ive learned the hidden corners of the XP OS... its really cool. I sometimes install a virus scanner and I never get a virus... Once in awhile I MIGHT find spyware, though usually I dont need a scanner to find it. I see a weird process, or a weird pluggin to my browser.

all I got where several error messages that read:

"The SRTSP service depends on the following nonexistent service: FltMgr"
I googled it and nothing came up.

I also recived this message:
"The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000043' while processing the file 'EraserUtilRebootDrv.sys' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume."

Those are the only two errors I've recived.
A majority of the errors where the first one.

Also a couple other things that happen.
Sometimes the task manager won't come up---typically this happens after I have steam open and then close steam-its weird.
Could be becuase I'm downloading a few things and it just chokes the computer up.

Also a side question---I use bitlord for torrents, and I'm starting to think that its causing me some issues...
Also I installed norton internet security--which bogged my system down right after I installed it-I'm going to uninstall it and see how things go.

Help appreciated! :)

pz

Last edited:
Im not going to give you solutions, but point you in the right directions...

Search "SRTSP", "FltMgr", 'EraserUtilRebootDrv.sys" and 'HarddiskVolume1'

SRTSP is a Norton Thing...
http://www.file.net/process/fltmgr.sys.html also google FltMgr for more info
EraserUtilRebootDrv.sys http://www.spyware-browser.com/items/75/189870/
'HarddiskVolume1' is easy, but you will learn more...

Find out more reading google using my search terms...

If I was a betting man I would say you got Alchool from your torrent or you used a crack from a crack download site.

Try SecurityTango.com there are certain viruses that norton cant handle, however if you do the tango, it will point you to a utility by norton that will remove these files.

My point isnt to give you the answers, but to help you learn how to look and solve these issues. This may not be a virus or spyware; so you try the tango and if it doesnt work... keep learning about these files and you will learn what you can try to re-install. Uninstal, etc...

If I had a direct answer I would give it to you, thats why I pointed you to securitytango site... Outside of that, the other things you have to do will be in these searches. They may not give you the exact answers you want, however they will give you bits and hints to teach you.

Mike

Heres what I did--I fully installed Service pack 2--so I could get the 48bit addressing for my hardrive, I then uninstalled norton, I have other virus scanners/adaware scanners/firewalls--norton was just causing system problems, I might install it later on.
The only problem I'm having now is I'm still getting the "missing Boot.ini file, booting from C:/windows" and then the computer boots fine---but the boot.ini thing is getting annoying-so I'm going to have to solve that next.

The FltMgr error was coming from me not having the current windows updates--when I updated to service pack 2 the error went away.
I recive no more SRTSP related errors seeing how I uninstalled norton internet security--I'm opting on using some free virus scanning software/adaware scanners instead.

pz

Last edited:
Back