• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Hey guys... I got a Black Ice Xtreme right now is my setup. However, there seems to be a *slow* leak around the inlet barb. I've re-clamped the tubing on that barb and its snug as a bug, so thats not it. I run my finger around the barb and I feel water... Are these radiators known to leak? is there anyway I can stop the leak? its a pretty slow leak, but I wanna try to stop it now before it potentially gets worse. Will some superglue work to seal it off if its a loose barb?

Attachments

• leak.JPG
    leak.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 136
Is it a hole in the tubing? If the barb is sealed tight, I would have no idea what else it could be. Did you clamp it so tight that is cut it?

Take off the clamp and see if the leak is still there. Worm drive clamps can bunch up tubing to cause leaks.

Hey superdave,

I have a radiator from the same company hwlabs, mine's a black ice stealth gt240, and I had abt the same prob as you, after taking the tubes re tightening 2 times, no luck. It keps leaking from both barbs, then we had it, first we opened the barb, took those rubber gormets or that black rubber round thing, opened the nut in the barb (my english is bad sorrY), and applied super glue, then we tightened back the nut or barb, whatever, back to the radiator, waited around 40 mins, that did the trick. but before you apply glue, make sure you wipe all the water you can.

Thanks, hope that helps. Good luck :thup:

So you're saying I should unscrew the barb and put something like permatex on the threads to seal it up for good? One question though- how do I go about clamping the tubing or whatever to take the radiator out without leaking water all over the place?

Before you do any of that...you might want to identify the leak first to make sure you know what the issue is.

Did you check the tubing under the worm clamp?

if everything is installed properly there's no need for super glue lol.

double check the clamps and hose, if they really look ok i would try some ptfe tape first (plumbers tape) before going down the glue route, you really should never need to do that.

the o-ring itself is usually enough for my BIX :shrug:

i've never used plastic clamps, i know that my BIX needs a very tight clamp with my worm drives....maybe the plastic isn't giving enough.

u wrap plumbers tape around the thread, gives a tighter seal.

Plumbers tape hasn't worked well when I've tried to use it on these systems. I use RTV Silicone instead. Its easy to use, easy to clean up, easy to remove, and makes a great seal. I like Goop Brand Marine RTV Silicone.

you dont want to just use superglue. Get RTV silcone sealant from home depot or the like instead, and apply that to the barb.

I have used Teflon tape (AKA Plummer's Tape, white, very soft) and the rubber o-ring that came with my BIP3 and no issues so far... the Teflon tape cost me $.97 at Home Depot... But once again, you should isolate the source of the leak before you do anything.

Good Luck!

When I first installed my loop I didnt use pliers on the plastic clamps. I had a slow leak on a block, and an outlet from my res. Clamped them with pliers, and leak went away.

Not sure if you clamped them tight or not, just something I didnt do on mine at first.

Back