• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Storm G4 + E6400 @ 3.5 + 1.45v = 55c Load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pyromuffin

Registered
I'm thinking that my load temps are too high. My loop consists of MCP550 a storm G4, maze4 gpu and a Black Ice stealth (2 fan) radiator. I recently bought the E6400, and I can get it up to 3.7 before my mobo craps out (silly 680i). I'll be satisfied with 3.5 ghz, but the load temp is just too high for my liking. I never saw temps over 40c on my AMD x2 rig with the same loop (at 2.6ghz).

What could be the cause of these high temps? Should I reseat my block or are these temps normal?

Any tips or info would be helpful.

Edit: idle temp is 36c which IMO is high too.

once u get these c2d's over 3ghz they really start to heat up, i think you're temps are about right, maybe slightly high but nothing abnormal.

for reference my e6600 @ 3.7 1.38v hits about 50c max orthos but generally around 43-45c ....when gaming i see about 40c-43c avg.

my gear is storm g4/alphacool laing ddc ultra/EK 8800GTX/BIX3....i also think my temps are slightly high but i have relatively low rpm fans on my BIX, when i switch out to higher cfm fans that it needs i drop another 3c-4c.

an other thing, you didn't say what viddie you got hooked on there. Also I got to add the boring did you try to reseat your block? besides going from 2.13Ghz to 3.5 is bound to generate some heat...

Tekko said:
an other thing, you didn't say what viddie you got hooked on there. Also I got to add the boring did you try to reseat your block? besides going from 2.13Ghz to 3.5 is bound to generate some heat...

I'm packing an x850xt. And I'm wondering if I should reseat it.

That temp is about right for your O/C considering you have a GPU block in the loop too. These Intels tend to run a little hotter than the AMDs. I only have the CPU block in my loop, so my idle temp is 33 and load is 48 (give or take a little). I think what Nik is leading up to is different motherboards report temps differently. If you are just using the mobo provided software to monitor temps, that could easily be inaccurate.

Your temps are fine, most of the water cooling guys will agree with me that the sweet spot for intel is about 50c* idle and 65c* ish load for water cooling. For me that is at 1.55v.

I have a similar watercooling setup except no gpu block.
I currently have my A64 x2 clocked at 3 ghz with 1.42v core. I'm getting 41c load temps. I'm curious to know what fans your using on your stealth.

Not to hijack an Intel thread...but are temps really that high on the C2Ds? I'm topping out at 35c load with my 165 running 1.504v. I have pretty much the same w/c setup.

satandole666 said:
Not to hijack an Intel thread...but are temps really that high on the C2Ds? I'm topping out at 35c load with my 165 running 1.504v. I have pretty much the same w/c setup.
*Sigh*, it really depends on WHAT you are using to measure temps. If the OP is using coretemp or TAT, then his temps are fine and pretty normal. If he is using speedfan then I would be worried. On C2D's coretemp and TAT (Intel Thermal Analysis Tool) give direct core temp readings of each CPU. Not a guess or an estimate, but the real value that the DTS (Digital Thermal Sensor) is sending.

that seems high .. my e6400 @ 3.5 hits 55-57c load on air using TAT for temp reading

I almost feel as if it's the Black Ice Stealth...that pump is plenty powerful for such a simple loop.

Posting what you're using to measure would be nice though.

heat will be higher if you make sure both cores are loaded up, some stress apps will only fire up one core.

My temps earlier were like this before I realized I only had one core going.

His temps are normal for a OC'ed C2D. Once the Vcore and clock goes up the processor temps climb pretty rapidly. As stated the ambient temp will have a afect on laod temps.

A little more info then:

I'm using nVidia's nTune software to report the temps, ambient is around 29c, which I would say is accurate, I haven't used the TAT but I'll check it out. I'm glad that you guys don't seem to think that the temps are too high, they had me worried a little coming from such low temps on AMD processors.

edit: I think a HOLY CRAP is in order here,
TAT reports my under load temperature to be a whopping 67c, and the idle temp to be 45 and 41 (core 0 and core 1) This is unsettling. It also says that I'm using a Pentium M, with a CPUID of 6FXh, ACPI thermal zone temp of 40c. BTW, I've got two sanyo denki san ace jet engines on my radiator. From time to time, I'll find my PC flying around in air if I don't keep it tied down.

Last edited:
More info:

- what radiator
- how many blocks do you have in yoru loop (CPU,NB,SB,VID)
- more info the better.

Seems like you have a medium sized radiator, if you have a lot on that loop then you might find a benefit from the PA120.3 with some quieter fans.

pyromuffin said:
A little more info then:

I'm using nVidia's nTune software to report the temps, ambient is around 29c, which I would say is accurate, I haven't used the TAT but I'll check it out. I'm glad that you guys don't seem to think that the temps are too high, they had me worried a little coming from such low temps on AMD processors.

edit: I think a HOLY CRAP is in order here,
TAT reports my under load temperature to be a whopping 67c, and the idle temp to be 45 and 41 (core 0 and core 1) This is unsettling. It also says that I'm using a Pentium M, with a CPUID of 6FXh, ACPI thermal zone temp of 40c. BTW, I've got two sanyo denki san ace jet engines on my radiator. From time to time, I'll find my PC flying around in air if I don't keep it tied down.

silvrhand said:
More info:

- what radiator
- how many blocks do you have in yoru loop (CPU,NB,SB,VID)
- more info the better.

Seems like you have a medium sized radiator, if you have a lot on that loop then you might find a benefit from the PA120.3 with some quieter fans.

I'm using a Black Ice Stealth 2, I have 2 blocks, a Storm G4 and a Maze4 GPU. I'm using an MCP655 and a T-line reservoir.

Back