• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

swapping XP-installs between P5B-Del & P5W-DH

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fritzman

What do you reckon...

I have a perfectly good Windows install, on two computers...

a single SATA drive in a P5B that I need to migrate back to a single SATA install on a P5W-DH; and

a 3 x drive Matrix setup on the P5W-DH that I want to move to the P5B-Deluxe.

I know one is ICH7R & the other ICH8R and yes, they're 965 & 975's, but is it really that impossible?

Can I for instance, install the necessary chipset drivers onto the current 965 board installation, so that when it fires up on the 975 board later, it boots correctly and simply loads windows as normal?

I have taken an image of the C drive on the current 975 install, so can restore that to the new 4 x drive array once it's set up on the 965 board... only question is, is there anything I can do while it's all still on the 975 board that might remove the need to do a windows repair?

I am not so concerned about the move from 975 to 965, as that's my own machine, but the other way... that's a mates machine and it's on a server network so would be a whole lot easier if the migration is simple.

Value any thoughts guys & gals.

B

I just swapped out a P5B deluxe mobo for a P5W DH Deluxe. I was running a single SATA drive on the P5B which sounds like what you have. Windows loaded fine. I updated the drivers from the mobo disc, installed new video drivers, and now I'm running just fine. :) I thought about tossing in chipset drivers before the swap, but thought I'd just try a swap first. Programs etc are doing just fine--no reinstalls or anything.

As for the other swap with the raid setup, I'll let someone else handle that one. :)

Wicked... that's exactly what I needed to hear, as that's the hard one in this situation... I'm happy to do a fresh install on my own PC (which is the P5W-DH > P5B-Deluxe)

Thanks

Back