• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2EP and the fanless design

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ice k16v

The P5WD2-E Premium (and a few other Asus Intel based boards) have fanless heatsinks for the bridges etc., however the way the fins are facing it seems obvious they were positioned in order to take advantage from the air supplied by the CPU cooler (most notably the Intel reference cooler).

I am now changing over to a watercooling setup on this rig which means it will become completely fanless. Worse, this board will be placed inside a desktop (HTPC) case, which in turn will be inside my stereo rack. Right now I'm having 34-35ºC temps reported on the motherboard sensor with an ambient temperature of 26-28ºC, so I expect this to rise up to the 40's which doesn't seem too healthy.

The case does have two 80mm fans at the back, although they are placed at the top and thus a bit "far" from these heatsinks (see pic below). These fans blow air out of the case.

lc16m_44.jpg

My question is: will these fans supply enough air/cooling for the motherboard heatsinks?

BTW, as the pic shows there is room for another side 80mm fan, which I could place blowing air into the case and probably get more flow along the heatsinks. I just don't know if this will mess up the cooling design (that opening was made for an additional fan blowing the air out, not in), and more fans means more noise so I'd rather only use another fan if really necessary.

Funny, it shows on my PC :bang head and yes it was a link.

Anyway here's another I just hosted, hope it'll show (taken from Sudhian.com):

lc16m_side.jpg

I am overclocking both CPU and GPU (main reason I am watercooling the thing), but cooling on those is sorted. It's just the motherboard I am worried about.

I see it now.

Reason i though you going water is to make it "silent".

You can always use glue gun and attach a 40mm-60mm fan on it and that will produce adequate cooling for your needs.

And next time just use http://imageshack.us , much simpler and always works.

Back