• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista OEM/Retail DVD version?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JenBell

Hello People...

Just 2 quick questions...

Vista oem and retail versions...
a. can anyone either tell me or give me links to see what the differences really are?

DVD versions...
a. I have seen on one website a 32/64bit ultimate DVD for £300+ retail DVD and the same thing OEM 32bit only ultimate for £130-ish.

I dont plan to turn to 64bit as I think the whole 64bit version is just to buggy to run for everyday use. I know I am getting the ultimate version just want to make sure I but the right version.

Also...I will be doing a total PC upgrade (as in everything is new fullstop) at around the early summer...any gotcha's I need to look out for?

Sry if the questions been asked before...thanks in advance...oh and please dont get all nuts about someone buying vista...its a new OS and I want to give it a real kickin before I upgrade the rest of our PCs/laptops...Ta!:-/

Main difference between OEM and retail is that with OEM you are allowed to install to one machine(device) only, with one allowed transfer in license(say you need to replace the motherboard). With retail you can now(thanks to tons of angry posts on tons of websites) reinstall a supposedly infinite number of times on different hardware, as long as you first uninstall from the other hardware.

That's the reason why the OEM is less expensive. That and realistically OEM is only supposed to get to system builders/sellers.

To the best of my knowledge, the DVD holds both the 32 and the 64 bit versions all the time. Haven't heard/seen a 32 bit only version of the disks.

kool...guess retail DVD is a go then.

With one massive upgrade planned for the PC I think thats alright...as for £300+ for an OS...one or two PCs is fine but 8 of them? wow....that becomes really expensive...I think I will get 2 retails and the rest OEMs if I decide to go all vista.

Thanks!

There is a Vista Starter edition that only comes with the 32 bit version. All the other versions will have both 32 and 64 bit version on the DVD. I think most folks will probably opt for the Home Basic or Home Premium. There are also Business and Ultimate editions.

Home Basic is only for the people who only uses email typically. Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate have much nicer features, such as Aero.

Oroka Sempai said:
I think Vista Starter Edition is only for 'developing markets', IE places that pirating is very common place, like China.

Yup its has limited functinality. Its like running Vista in reduced function mode if you didn't register it. Only having so many windows open at once type deal.

Retail is the way to go and to save a few bucks you might look at an upgrade option if you have an XP CD. That can save a few hundred right there.

Pack wise, you might want to check to see if you need or want the ultimate features. Business or Preimum might cover all you need.

Back