• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B-E vs P5B-Deluxe Continued

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

First off, does anyone have info on the P5B-E 1.02G Revision and when it should hit stores in Canada? Does anyone have it already?

Now, you may be wondering why another p5b-e vs p5b-d post...well we all have different needs etc, so I am posting this with regards to my needs.

Here they are:

1) 1 PCI-Express slot
2) Firewire
3) Good overclocking
4) good overall features

System:

C2D 6400
8800GTS or GXT VGA
Corsair PC6400C4 RAM 2GB or PC6400PRO
OCZ 700W GXS PSU
Lian-Li PC-60B+II

So I've compared these two boards extensively, and I would like your opinion on what I have learned, because reviews are reviews, I want advice from owners of these components also, who have personal experience.

First off, most of you may know that the P5B-E overclocks really well, despite only a 2.1V RAM limit on the 1.01G, this is why I am so interested in the 1.02G because one of the fixes is allowing for 2.4V RAM limit, with C2 Stepping replacing the C1 from 1.01G.

We all know the Deluxe overclocks very well also, although better results have been reported with the E ( so I've heard ) FSB anyway.

I am new to overclocking but would like to push my system to about 60% OC capacity. ( don't want to kill my components ) I plan on having this system for about 4 years.

So the features on this board look identical, cept the deluxe has more built in cooling features etc, am I correct? everything else seems to be identical? ( minus 2 LAN ports, WiFi, which I don't care for anyway)

As far as cooling, are the mobo built in cooling extras etc on the Deluxe that good?
- ASUS 8-Phase Power Design
- ASUS Fanless Design: Heat-pipe solution
- ASUS Fanless Design: Stack Cool 2
- ASUS Q-Fan 2
- ASUS Optional Fan for Water-cooling

Or will an alternate method of cooling do better/worse? to compensate for the lack of in the P5B-E version....since I do plan to OC the board/components, I think I may have to invest in some alternate method of cooling ( a new ball game for me )

Also the Deluxe has major Audio issues, does the E also have these audio issues? I have not been able to find any info on this.

Anything else I've missed?

Let me know which way you think I should go....Asus P5B-E 1.02G ( if I can get it ) $180CND OR Asus P5B-Deluxe ( non WiFi version )$ 215CND

Thanks.

Last edited:
Just wondering myself actually.

The Anandtech review did not compare the P5B-E with the Deluxe. It only said the former was the best of the mid-range boards. The Deluxe with its 8 phase power is not a mid-range board.

I note the review (which dates to last October) mentioned the sound issue from some readers with the Deluxe. I doubt it would be with all of them though. They didnt have any problems with the audio on the P5B-E and actually preferred it a whole lot over all the other different brands who still use ReakTek. It's the same codec on the Delux so I don't know what the story is there.

**edit

The Deluxe has ADI 1988B which is meant to have a slightly better S/N ratio than for 1988A on the P5B-E.

Last edited:
Back