• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can u help with my homework please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Supershanks

Will be switching to conroe around mid jan.
Choice of mobo is most likely ABIT 975 AW9D-MAX as i probably haven't enough will power to wait around for the Abit AB9 QuadGT .:cry:

Have been trying to learn the principals of ocing conroe (getting a 6600) from
Tony's The definitive guide to Intel chipset/memory over clocking Which being an AMD Numbskull was the best at explaning what the NBV Strap was. (had thought it was something u used to hold a fan on until i saw a bios page:shrug:
and
Navig's Starter's Guide to Overclocking the AW9 series motherboards which actually uses the AW9D-max motherboard . In post #8 Navig says
At the current moment I've hit the FSB 370 wall. I'm doing research on this subject, but this is apparently a very common wall on the Intel chipset, chipset wide. It apparently has to do with how the chipset sets the clock speed of the northbridge chip and the PSB1066 strap.You have to either seriously overvolt the nb, or use a memory multiplier, or seriously relax the RAMs timings. Apparently this will be all solved when Abit releases a PSB1333 nb strap. Hopefully soon!

Has the the 1333Nb Strap been released i know i saw Deanzo get his 4k+ using 440x9. I'm also a bit unclear re the use of the straps my reading of tony's article is that you can utilise the straps to get the memory controller running at a ratio that suited the reltionship you wanted between memory & fsb.

Ie :-
Ram Ratio 400 533 667 800
Strap:-
800 1 1 1/3 1 2/3 2
1,067 3/4 1 5/4 3/2
1,333 3/5 4/5 1 6/5

so basically if i wanted to run memory at 1.5 fsb i'd select 1067 strap & 800 2:3 Dram Spec.

However Navig says in post#1
-N/B Strap CPU As—is the basic northbridge setting depending upon what type of cpu you have. Since this is an e6600 with a native quad pumped FSB of 1066mhz, I’ve selected PSB1066.
Which intimates that the strap is cpu dependent, if this is the case why not leave it on auto ??

I'd really like 2 know if i've misread things - thanks.;)

You can leave it on auto if you really want. I like to adjust mine manually. I use the 1066 strap and 1:1 ratio. If you are overclocking an E6600 as much as possible and have DDR2-800 RAM, then that's probably about the best route.

They are still working on the 1333 strap, although the latest beta BIOS version does include it.

Hey mate.
Reading over at the Abit & XS forums looks like the beta BIOS I used was a beta 13 with 1333 strap.
But looks like Tony has a new, new beta 14 01 with again 1333 strap and he has said it will do 500fsb, you can read a little about it here.
Other than doing 446X9 and 470X6 that 1066 strap wouldnt let me do, everything else is more or less the same (for me) ie: same amount of volts to get stable, spi times about the same (may be a little less but only a little)
But for 24/7 this board works well at 400X9 3.6Ghz and 1:1 ratio but as batboy said you may do better with that ram.

In a way I was hoping you may have ended up getting the IN9 32X-MAX, I have read that Abit have said they have taken it to 557fsb but it will do 650fsb (ya right!)
I'd just like to see some one here take it out for a run.

Last edited:
Hi Deanzo,
Thanks for the link, appreacite it.
In a way I was hoping you may have ended up getting the IN9 32X-MAX
Lol that's developing like wembly stadium :) deleayed & over budget:bang head When i 1st saw estimated to be around £170 Specialtech Abit IN9 32X-MAX& was said by an abit tech rep to be on his xmas list. Latest date seems to be 7th but lookinhg at the abit site no manual available so m not holding my breath, only thing moving is Ouch:eek: For a board that was announced Early Nov, & is now looking like early jan i'm wondering if there have been issues. I'm getting a bit reluctant to dive in woithout seeing oc tests/reviews

So plans have changed again. of the boards i'm looking at the 975 AW9D-MAX is the only 1 available as of today and so is my backup. I'll be able to complete getting parts around the 15th. (postman just came as i write this with my memory:))
In no particular preference:-
1) P5N32-E SLIThis is a full 680i similar to striker without bloatware & high price have seen it as low as £138.
2) Abit Quad GT this is a 2nd gen 965 replacing the AB9 Pro Supposedly around £140. release rumours around end jan??
3) Asus Commando Same as QuadGT a new 2nd gen 965. Is supposed to launch with CES so may be imminent around £165

So will just have to wait & see what happens, there seems to be new boards announced daily & my shortlist changes daily.

thanks again for the links.:beer:

Back