• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6400 at 3.4 GHZ on a Abit AB9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
For those who own, or is thinking of owning an Abit AB9 mobo, it can push a C2D above 400fsb, see below

this is at 1.3 V VCore and stable after 15 min of Orthos, max temp at 51 C with watercooling
:burn:

Credit goes to Batboy who helped me with the voltage settings on CPU, NB, RAM etc

Last edited:
Your title said 4.4 gig... I was about ready to freak... guess you meant 3.4 gig.

Here is a screenie of my buddy's rig that I built and played around on for an evening (E6300, AB9, and G. Skill DDR2-800).

E6300+3000+CPU.JPG

Yes, it is 3.4 GHz, corrected it....maybe this puppy will allow me to go to 4.4...I wish;)

That's a pretty sweet O/C for a low budget motherboard. People started avoiding the AB9 when they first were released because the early BIOS versions limited FSB. Nice to see Abit is getting their act together.

well the main thing with the ab9's is the hs for the chipset way to small. the first bios did limit it bb but there are some boards like mine that just refuse to run 400fsb. think it might be a pll thing, gonna pick up a new ab9-pro and put a better chipset sink on it. i still bet the newer boards can do 500mhz but then you need the ram to hit that high...

Evilsizer said:
i still bet the newer boards can do 500mhz but then you need the ram to hit that high...

ok.. you pull that off I might have to pull the trigger on one :beer:

a few questions...

1. what MCH and ICHIO voltages are you using?
2. what bios version?
3. what north bridge strap/ratio you using? (from your sig,looks like 1:1)

nice OC btw :beer:

INFO

Nice to see Abit getting their reputation back. They were the first choice of a lot of review forums for a few years there and then went donehill. I'll glad to see they are an option again. It gives people like me an extra option to look at.

after some digging and reading on ab9's and various others. i have concluded a few things as to why the ab9's wont do 500mhz fsb. this is just a theroy,
1) abit is using some looser chipset timings that other boards may not be.
2) the looser timings to the chipset is why the ab9 is not prone to the 360-400mhz hole that others seem to have.
3) when going over 400mhz fsb on the ab9 there seems to be no forcing of the 1333fsb strap as other boards do.
4) for us to get 500mhz fsb's we need abit to add the 1333fsb strap in the bios. they did this with the aw9d-max so why not ab9's.

as clearly though the new ab9 quad gt is doing 500mhz+ fsb. clearly due to the 1333fsb strap being forced and used when ocing the board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127019

Evilsizer said:
as clearly though the new ab9 quad gt is doing 500mhz+ fsb. clearly due to the 1333fsb strap being forced and used when ocing the board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127019

Well AnandTech says the board is doing 525fsb on the 1066 strap...and from their benchmarks, it looks like it might be true...

The BIOS allows you to manipulate the MCH strap and memory speeds resulting in a wide variety of performance options based on your components. The current BIOS allows you to stay in the 1067 strap up to the 525FSB ceiling with our E6300 and E6400 chips, and this allows for some incredible memory and system performance at the higher FSB settings.

From here...

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2911&p=4

well i think this could also be the effect of finally being able to release the 965 with the c2 revision chipset. i would like to mess with the ab9 quad gt but i cant see spending that much for it, thats just me.

yeah 150 is badass for a mobo with ich8r and high clocker, ab9-pro is about the only one that falls into this spot as of now. aside from p5b-e

Rattle said:
yeah 150 is badass for a mobo with ich8r and high clocker, ab9-pro is about the only one that falls into this spot as of now. aside from p5b-e
e4300 and ab9-pro are going to be killer combo's, since you wont need costly ram for ocing. i noticed tankguys has a killer deal on ddr2-800 ram from Teamgroup.
http://www.tankguys.biz/2x1gb-dark-44412-800mhz-p-1710.html
they are promos chips but i bet they can do ddr2-900 to possbily 1000. my c4's are promos based chips. i could have gotten ddr2-1200 stable if i had more ddr-v options in my early board. im stuck with 2.3vdimm later ab9's have up to 2.5v-dimm.

Back