• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a Dell Dimension 3000-

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nope2dope

I know pretty much all the computer info, It's a dimension 3000, with and Intel Celeron/2.4 GH'z, with Intel chipset i865, I've tryed clockgen, gotten it to succesfully show it all, and in the pll control, but that doesn't work on my computer... not sure why, just when I click apply, it don't change the settings, remains the same constant speed. The main problem I have now is, I need a bios that can actually change the multiplier maybe, I'm not sure if it's locked on my computer or not, but at least to be able to change all of the voltage settings, and the fsb mh'z settings in the bios, I have the bios version A03, from dell obviously and it doesn't have anything like that, knowing dell, they assume anyone getting one doesn't know **** about computers, so they don't contain advanced settings. I have one 512mb module of PC3200+ memory, and a 1gb module of PC3200+, both ddr sdram. Well, to all who can help thanks.

With a dell you will be pretty much left in the cold. They lock their BIOS' and PLLs so you cannot overclock. You could try searching for a hacked BIOS, but i can't imagine you'd come up wtih much.

I think your best bet might be to buy an aftermarket motherboard and replace the Dell MB with the aftermarket. This will be a bit of an undertaking as you should reinstall windows after doing this (Major system change)

PPL's can be compatalbe... you just have to try the software (setFSB, clockgen) try the different PPL settings (you can look on the mobo for the actuall PPL IC# wich would help you use the applications emencely) and see if it works (what your describing sounds like the wrong PPL setting in the software)

to get more voltage you have to do a pad mod for more VID (preset boot Vcore). (if you have a LGA CPU, I dont recall what socket that is)
here is the LGA CPU VID pad moding linkage http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=3931

If its a pinned cpu, your going to need to dig up some pin mods or DL the data sheet from intel to do some wire mod tricks.

Dells have been overclocked the only trick is monitoring the temps.. most temp monitoring programs don't work with Dell's mobos. Thermal probes work just fine if you have acess to one, you can epoxy the probe on the side of the CPU's IHS for decent temp. monitoring.

hope this helps.

@jivetrky.. ahh you know you want to OC a Dell ;)

Last edited:
I've tryed searching for a bios, but idk, that's kind of a risky way to go, depending on who knows that made the bios, and if it's a bad flash.... I'm screwed, so I think I'll stay away from flashing a third party one, unless it has lots of "hubub" about it, ya know, the scene knows it works. But I'll try some of the other things you said too. I'll also keep trying to find a hacked bios, any hints on anywhere to find one? It's never been my goal to search for a hacked dell bios before, so I don't know.

greenmaji said:
well.. If I missed your post.. my bad :bang head

greenmaji: Not sure what you mean

nope2dope: I'm not sure where to look, I'd just get some googling goin' on :) Otherwise you could probably find a replacement board for ~$50-ish

I would just look for the PLL on the mobo.
write all the IC#'s down and look for those *or look them up here http://www.datasheets.org.uk/search.php to help figure out wich one is the PLL* in the PLL lists in the programs (setFSB and clockgen)

once you need more Vcore to get stable, it takes a VID mod.

I wouldn't bother trying to flash to a different bios, too risky IMHO.

@jivetrky.. I ment if I missed your question on overclocking your dell's CPU ;)

Last edited:
I'm not to sure, I think I have the right pll, I checked it with cpu-id.com, and they say my chipset is a pll of ICS 9526xx, and that is correct (to the website), it shows up two bars in pll control, but no well, clocks show, I have two ICS 952607 and ICS 952618, only neither work. I can get it on another one, forget which one, but it's the only ICS I can get readings in the pll control on, but only has one slider under the control. I submitted my bios to unicore, I'm really not sure what they do, is they will get me an actual overclockable bios, or just give me the same bios, because mine is up to date, or give me some other crappy bios that is just crappy, no idea, never used em before. setFSB fails to work on my computer either, gets all the readings, but can't change it, Dells are like a big fat metal safe, and not many combinations around to get in. If anyone knows of any bioses to try out, give me a hoot on this thread.

finding the correct PLL is nessary to overclock any motherboard (not just Dell's)
So you got a website to try find it.. how about opening the case and looking for it?

I figured maybe taking a closer look to find the pll's would help maybe, but, I was wrong, pulled up completely different information that... simply Isn't helping at the moment. Off of the ICS chip it has
CJ560227
952601EF
Now the last one makes some sense, but clockgen doesn't show that, it has two like I said before of the ICS 952607 and ICS 952618.
That just completely conflicts with any info the programs are pulling out.

that would be the PLL you need.. for a donation you might get it out of clockgen (to the author, his other free projects along with clockgen have caused him to not have time to add custom PLL's on his free time anymore, I have no clue how much you would need to ask him) and you can contact setfsb to see what kind of responce you can get out of them.

Heh.. I tried OCing my Dell too.. My PLL is something like ICS 954101.. I think it says on the CPUFSB website that CPUFSB will never work for that PLL because of the lack of a system management bus or something like that..

Don't know if it applies to your PLL.. Just my two cents worth..

yeah, I just called unicore bios update, and they are of no help... they know what I want to do, and they could help with it, IF I bought a new motherboard. I know motherboards are cheap and I'm really thinking about it now... But I think I'll get a motherboard/processor combo, with a fan, I'm not quite sure what my form factor is, mATX or ATX, I'd assume its ATX, not sure. Do Biostar mobos come with a good bios? I found a good biostar board with a processor for 129, 3.3ghz Intel n such, what would you guys recommend anyways, amd or intel? And if I buy a mobo, I've never done that before, would it be "somewhat" plug n play, or would I have to run some fdisk on it to get it to boot the HDD's at the current state? I'd also probably have to reactivate my windows even if I did get it to boot because of the major system change it'd change my product ID.

Back