• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will VISTA Work On My Rig? (Uk Prices Here Inclu.)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I got a e-mail with all the prices to Windows VISTA today from Overclockers.co.uk

Windows VISTA Ultimate 32bit & 64bit (OEM) £135
Windows VISTA Ultimate 32bit & 64bit (Retail) £353
Windows VISTA Business 32bit & 64bit (OEM) £94
Windows VISTA Business 32bit & 64bit (Retail) £250
Windows VISTA Home Premium 32bit & 64bit (OEM) £79
Windows VISTA Home Premium 32bit & 64bit (Retail) £212
Windows VISTA Home Basic 32bit & 64bit (OEM) £65
Windows VISTA Home Basic 32bit & 64bit Upgrade Edition (Retail) £88

Now I was gonna get Windows XP Pro SP2 OEM that's £93 ex delivery but just wondering would be wise just to get VISTA Ultimate OEM I just think my ATi card might let me down not too sure. I will be getting a memory upgrade in about 3 weeks from 1GB to 2GB cause I've read about VISTA being GREEDY!!!

Does vista do somthing that xp cant ? if not then Y spend more monney on a os that is slower ? doesnt make sence to me

edit - in the uk can you go to PC shops buy a peice of Hardware and then buy a xp oem copy for 15-20$ ? cause you can here in canada @ some places . you should check that out .

Oroka Sempai said:
Wish I knew where to get XP for $20 here in Canada. Everywhere I see they want $90-120.
Well the next time you are in Calgary or EDM goto memery express , Buy a ide cable then buy XP for cheep =)

contrary to polpular belief, Vista will run on pretty much any computer (within reason). Your athlon 3700+ will be fine. I had it running with my geforce 6200tc and a gig of ram just fine with their new glitzy opengl theme. And if your card isn't dx9 compatible (i believe) it will simply not allow you to run the new theme, and drop you in to something more like Win Classic.

Well luckly this ATi X800 XL is DX9 so it should play fine might just buy it see what its like I have 2 weeks to decide.

AngelfireUk83 said:
Now I was gonna get Windows XP Pro SP2 OEM that's £93 ex delivery but just wondering would be wise just to get VISTA Ultimate OEM I just think my ATi card might let me down not too sure. I will be getting a memory upgrade in about 3 weeks from 1GB to 2GB cause I've read about VISTA being GREEDY!!!

Angelfire, You can run this test to see if your rig is Vista compatible.
PS, I'm not running Vista for at least 3 months after it gets released to the general public, and even then I may not use it since XP is decent OS.

I'm getting Vista for free and I'm still not going to run it for some time after I get it. :rolleyes:

||Console|| said:
Well the next time you are in Calgary or EDM goto memery express , Buy a ide cable then buy XP for cheep =)

I havent been in Alberta in 8 years... and dont see that changing anytime soon. But appearantly my GFs friend lives in Calgary...

Just read that ATi & nVidia are having a hard time to provide drivers that work under VISTA so I might give it a miss my self until driver support it better.

Im stickin with XP.
I beta tested vista and found nothing but dissapointments.

Mainly for the fact that my 1ghz duron 512mb ram could barely run it and an a 200Mhz Pentium with 256MB ram can run XP no problem. Dont want a resource waster for a OS.

That said XP was crap when frst released so I might give vista another chance when a service pack comes out since dell will be giving me a free upgrade CD for purchasing my laptop from them.

WIndows XP is good enough for me.

I ran it on a P150 @ 130Mhz before with 192MB ram when My k6-2 470Mhz died. That was the point that I made my switch from 2k to XP cause 2k would never do that as nicely.

Even still I use win3.11 in some instances so heh im insane.

AngelfireUk83 said:
Just read that ATi & nVidia are having a hard time to provide drivers that work under VISTA so I might give it a miss my self until driver support it better.

My plan is to swap to Vista after service pack 1 is released by Msft. I'll let the rest of the world deal with the initial bugs and security holes once it's released en masse.
watchout.gif
windows.gif
waiting.gif

yeah, its definitely not worth swtiching over. And since the only reason I use MS is for games now, i can't even use vista because of the buggy drivers.

Vista is partly responsible for my attempt to transition 100% over to linux/bsd. As I mentioned before, all I need windows for is games. I can run wow and hl2/cs:s in wine, but it's just not the same.

I'm dual booting XP Pro and Vista Ultimate at the moment. Vista took quite a while to install and I had some driver issues; I really don't feel it's ready for the retail market yet. BUT, once everything is installed, it runs very quickly. I'm almost starting to like it better than XP, almost. Most of my applications work fine, but some have problems. Ultramon still works, but fails to mirror the interface. Foobar works, but columns UI sometimes causes it to crash. Honestly, it feels like XP with ashton shell. I don't really see where it is better from a technical stand point.

I'm running Vista on my business laptop right now only for one reason. I want to stay up to date and know the differences between Vista XP and how to do things. This is primarily because I am a Microsoft Consultant. For the average consumer there is no reason to go over to Vista. The UI is completely different in lots of aspects, and will only confuse the end user. I'd advise you to stay on XP for now till there is a specific need for you to switch over other.

Back