• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing SP2 problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
I've run into a weird problem, I've never hit

Since I just got my P5B-Deluxe yesterday, I had to do the repair install of windows. That way all the drivers would be correct. Going from the ICH8 to the ICH8R southbridge changes the SATA drivers, and NIC drivers, etc.

So anyway Now I'm to the point of installing SP2, as my XP cd is only SP1. I download the network install of SP2, because I generally find that I can skipp the 100 updates you have to download before you get to sp2, as this network sp2 install has all the updates built in, which is why its 400mb. So as its installing It seems to get hung up at "Checking for necessary Space". I left it like that all night ~7 hours..so it was stuck.

Thinking maybe something was wrong with my download, I jsut go ahead and do the 100 updates via windows update. When I finally got to SP2, and I started installing it, I ran into another problem. Now its stuck at "Creating cabinet files". I left it here for 1 hour and it didn't move.

Everything is at stock speed. Rig is in sig.

Thanks for the help guys.

You may want to backup any critical data that you may have installed to the root partition, create a slipstreamed XP SP2 CD using the network install of SP2 you downloaded, and then perform a clean install of XP w/ SP2.

redduc900 said:
You may want to backup any critical data that you may have installed to the root partition, create a slipstreamed XP SP2 CD using the network install of SP2 you downloaded, and then perform a clean install of XP w/ SP2.

:(, ok I guess I'll do that.

Is there any special way I need to make .iso?

Last edited:
I've never had great success with trying to go that route with windows when changing motherboards... I always end up formatting and re-installing clean.
Slipstream installs are the way to go...

Back