• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with 137GB partition problem, please...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moddork

Registered
I've got a new build that I just installed two (2) 320gb drives on. I've upgraded to sp2 and my drives still read at 127gb (they're reading at 127gb not 137gb) I was hoping the upgrade would just fix the problem, so I assume I HAVE to partition the drive. I've read on the subject all night and I still don't understand it.

I really don't want to have two partitions for my C drive. I wanted my OS and programs on the same drive, one partition. Can I not do that, am I forced to have at least two partitions, or can I still make it all one partition without reinstalling windows???

I also downloaded Partition Magic to help me, but was completely lost when I opened it. Are there any walkthoughs for this?

I know this is a common problem I'm just stuck on it. I'm very new to this and still need help! :confused:

If the drives were installed and partitioned with XP without SP2, then the partitions will remain the same size. Now with SP2 you can go into disk management and increase the partition size to use the whole drive.

How do I do that?

Here is a screenshot from Partition Magic, if that helps any.

It shows my second drive as Unallocated ??? :(
partition-screen.jpg

Ohhh... I havent used Partition magic in a while. I now use the Storage Management in the Administrative tools.

What I think I used with Partition Magic to do is create a new partition in the empty space, and then merge partitions, then hit apply.

I found this on using the Administrative tools.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

Do I create an Extended partition and specify the size I have left 170.09GB?
Do I not assign a drive letter since I am just extending the partition? Will I want to format it?

I know this is like 20 questions. I need all the help I can get.

In Partition Magic there is an option to redistribute free space

Ok, so I chose to format my 2nd drive and chose to redistribute the space on my main drive. Both are pending right now, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks, I appreciate the help! Both still say pending. Does this usually take a while?

Yeah, it was the formatting that was taking so long, lol. :p I didn't use Partition Magic, because I don't have $70 to buy the program otherwise I would. But I still see no resize option when I use Disk Manager under the Administrative Tools. Am I missing something?

There is no "resize" option available in the Disk Management Console. You may want to give the GParted LiveCD a try...

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
GParted is a well-known Linux application that allows you to create, delete, resize (some partition types), move (some partition types), copy and check partitions on your hard disk. This version of GParted comes in the form of an ISO for a CD, which you can burn to your CD to create a bootable CD from which you can modify your hard disk partitions. GParted supports the following partition types to varying degrees: ext2, ext3, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, HFS, HFS+, JFS, linux swap, ReiserFS, Reiser4, and XFS.

Last edited:
Back