• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NPT threads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmsch

Can anybody find water blocks with female NPT (standard, tapered plumbing) threads instead of the NPSM (straight non tapered threads that need "O" ring to make a seal)?

I am thinking of doing a custom water setup using custom bent brass tubes. It seems to me the plastic tubes looped through the machine put alot of tension on the components, I can custom bend brass tubes to line up perfectly with the fittings, therefore puting very little tension on anything. It will actually be no tension except for the weight of the tubes, which are lightweight anyway.

Thread size is not important, as I am not too concerned about performance at this time, I just want to see if I can actually do this. I can adapt to any thread size under 3/4".

I will most likely be using 1/4" or 3/8" ID tubes for this experimant.

Also if there exists a submersible pump, maybe you can point me to one of those.

So again I am looking for blocks (skt 775, ATI X1900, P5W DH Dlx NB) with standard, tapered, female plumbing threads (NPT). And maybe a rad too. And if possible a submersible pump. Brass is preferred on the blocks, but I will take anything since I have looked and can't find anything myself.

Thanks -Jim

DangerDen Maze3 series blocks were all 1/4" NPT threaded, and were all available with brass tops... SERIOUSLY doubt you'll find any "modern" blocks using NPT. All tend to use UNF, BSP (G), or NPSM since 2004 onwards.

For radiators, get a brass plug that matches the radiator, then redrill and tap it to whatever you want. ThermoChill rads being 3/8" BSP should have enough material in a plug to allow you to self tap it to 1/4" NPT.

Submersible pumps - Eheim 1046, 1048, 1250, 1260; Hydor L20 & L30 - all BSP threaded fittings.

If you plan to use a modern block then you're going to have to make your own waterblock tops, or get one with NPSM threads and use NPTF threaded fittings with it. All of the manufacturers have switched over to straight threads to allow easier sealing with O-Rings instead of having to use teflon tape.
However, if you're worried about tension then you need to rethink how to order your loop to prevent tension. Also you may want to consider using 7/16" ID tubing since it's much more flexible than 1/2" ID without hindering performance.
[O-CuK]Marci said:
ThermoChill rads being 3/8" BSP should have enough material in a plug to allow you to self tap it to 1/4" NPT.
3/8" BSP is larger than 1/4" NPT, just like 3/8" NPT is larger than 1/4" BSP.

Last edited:
I suppose I can use NPSM threads and just solder my NPT adapters into them, but this would have to be a brass block. Unless somebody knows where to get NPSM to compression or flare adapters. I couldn't find them anywhere either.

My goal here is to have a water cooled loop with nice clean looking tubing and very little tension. The tubing will all be custom bent to achieve good looks, nice straight lines and less tension on the components than the plastic tubing. I am not "worried " about tension so to speak, I just want to try and see what can be achieved here. This is just an experiment., I do not plan on running it in my system. It will be in the garage on some older system...just something to play with.

I currently have placed a "wanted" ad in the classies for the Maze 3 series blocks.

Thanks for the replies...most helpful :beer:

I have wanted to try this for some time, so good luck to you. One interesting option would be to get the push in type of fittings. You can simply push copper tubing into those connectors and they will form a good solid connection.

seamadan000 said:
I have wanted to try this for some time, so good luck to you. One interesting option would be to get the push in type of fittings. You can simply push copper tubing into those connectors and they will form a good solid connection.
Instant tube fittings cannot be used with metal pipe. You have to use Shore A90 hardness plastic tubing (Nylon or Polyethylene) with them.
45deg flared compression fittings on the other hand are designed specifically for metal tubing in copper or stainless steel.

They make "push on" fittings for copper and brass. The above links kinda prove it. However I can get compression or flare with nice shiny chrome or polished brass nuts on them to look real nice. I have actually fount some British supplier that has the BSP to compression adapters. I think I will do this some time soon. I will keep you all posted.

Back