• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black mark growth in tube and reservoir

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coms

Registered
Ive had this watercooling setup running for about 7 months. Is it normal to have what looks like black little dots/marks on the inside of the tubing and reservoir.
Is it easy to remove.

thanks

silvrhand said:
you can use some non alcohol iodine to clear it out.

Shouldn't take much BTW, probably just a few drops, not like a cup of it or anything :)

One thing to think about also is that once that stuff gets killed and probably washed off the tubing walls, it will probably lodge itself in a waterblock or radiator and possibly hinder the flow a little bit. You might consider buying new tubing and redoing it to avoid this. And when you fill the loop again, use distilled water, a little antifreeze, and a few drops of iodine.

It won't clear it out though, Iodine will just kill it. You will have to still eventually change the fluid. If there isn't much algae in there though, it won't affect stuff too much. The best thing to do is change your fluid, if nothing else, look at it as an excuse to upgrade. :santa:

TheSonOfX51 said:
It won't clear it out though, Iodine will just kill it. You will have to still eventually change the fluid. If there isn't much algae in there though, it won't affect stuff too much. The best thing to do is change your fluid, if nothing else, look at it as an excuse to upgrade. :santa:

The reason of all reasons. My tubes are dirty.... TIME FOR AN UPGRADE!"

Thanks for responses, i think i'll buy new tubing and some of that pre treated watercooling liquid. Ive just bought my asus p5b dlx and e6400 so might as well do it all at once and save bother further down the line.

cheers

pre-treated is good, but i would suggest your own mixture, much better value for your money. but its up to you.

I just noticed the same problem in my setup. I've been running this setup for about a year now and I noticed something swimming in my reservoir, after checking all my lines I found it in a few more places. I guess it's time to drain it and take the blocks apart and give them a good cleaning.

weird I always ran distilled water and never got any growth Im still on the same gallon jug from 3 years ago......:)

Just pulled everything to pieces last night ready for my upgrade. God damn it was like pond life in there. Algae everywhere especially at the back of the tubes where i couldt see. Im going to take extra care with the collant this time i think and clean everything thoroughly. I personally think that swiftech stuff isnt that good that comes with the apex ultra kit.

cheers

Back