• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Water Cooling Setup - Recomendations -

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T1Cybernetic

As a new present to myself for christmas ;) i thought id go all out water cooled on the old cpu :eek: heres what it's narrowed down to.

Water Cooling Checklist /Price List

#1 Water Block: Swiftech Storm G4 Or Apogee "Universal"
#2 Water Pump: Eheim 1250 /Other?
#3 Radiator: HeaterCore Dual 2x120mm 1/2" Or Swiftech MCR320-QP Triple 120mm Or Thermochill PA120.3
#4 Tubing: 15/20ft 1/2" ID Tygon R3603 /Other
#5 Reservior: Danger Den Cylindrical Res /Other Recomendation?
#6 Clamps: ??
#7 Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5

Either way i will be buying myself a water setup but i thought i should get some input and see what everyone would
recomend. this will be cooling my current socket a setup :D but will be for future upgrades "core 2 duo" in the future.

On another note, i have the cash here for it all now but if you know of a place i can get these
parts cheap or used seconds please dont hesitate to let me know, the cheaper the better :D

#1. Storm is not doing that well on quad core. When used with quad core apogee runs better than storm. On dual core with Ihs they might perform same but there is clear cut winner. Storm is also more restrictive than apogee. Dtek released new universal block like a week ago. Swiftech will have new apogee version in couple weeks.

#2 DDC+/mcp355 is probably the best pump now, even better when modded though louder still more quiet than mcp655.

#3 It will depend on fans you be using and how much you want to spend on it. Thermochill will perform best at low speed but cost more than other radies. Swiftech triple rady is good too with quiet fans.

#4 I like masterclear 7/16 id tubing but it is hard to put on and take off from plastic barbs. I would pick any tubing but tygon. The thing I have against tygon, is that it is expensive.

#5 For reservoir you got few options. I like swiftech micro reservoir other like t line because it is cheap.

#6 Get clamps at local hardware store, cheapest

#7 I use zalman thermal compound.

If your old CPU has an exposed core the Storm is better - otherwise get the Apogee.

DDC+ w/modded top performs better then the MCP655 (and costs more) but is not adjustable.

Tygon is great tubing for interior runs - but you won't need that much. I prefer thin-walled R-3603 with Smartcoils for the possible kinks but with only a CPU you shouldn't have that problem. If you're going external I like Masterkleer.

Get worm-drive SS clamps from your local auto parts store.

If you've got an exposed core CPU be VERY careful using AS5. I use Ceramique on my exposed core chips ...

Right then i finaly have all my parts ordered :D i added the northbridge block too because i figured i might
aswel do it right in the first place instead of having to add more later and end up increasing the chance of leaks etc

----------------------------------------------------------
Goods Shipped:
£30.50 x 1 - Swiftech MCR320-QP Triple 120mm Radiator
£26.50 x 1 - Swiftech Apogee Extreme Performance Universal Waterblock
£9.75 x 1 - Swiftech MCRES-Micro Watercooling Resevoir
£17.00 x 1 - Swiftech MCW30 Northbridge Water block
£56.50 x 1 - Laing D5-Pump 12V D5-Vario 1/2" OT
£8.85 x 3 - Asetek WaterChill tubing (1/2") Per Metre (clear)
£6.95 x 5 - TCSValue 80mm Red LED Fan 4PIN
----------------------------------------------------------

All this should be ariving tomorrow "all being well" and then all i have to do is see if theres any fixings and fittings i need
to pop out and buy but apart from that i am pretty happy with what's in the list, thank you for the help choosing em :)

ps
if i missed anything from the shopping list, point it out now or else i'll be kicking myself for days :p

Yes just the chipset? the graphics card is a x800xt pe with a stock cooler on it and it runs cold as it is to be honest.

Also, my laing d5 that i picked out just arived but what i didnt think to buy was female thread barbs :(
have you any ideas where i can grab a decent set of barbs, either localy or online "stores" to fit it...

13921.jpg

Didn't realise anyone was selling the D5 with threads in the UK... we only carry the regular version.

You can get buttugly brass fittings for that one from thorite.co.uk - that's about your only choice. Never seen an attractive fitting for those.

That Asetek Waterchill tubing is 1/2" OD, not ID - it'll be a tight fit on everything.

Yeah i was expecting the pump to have the other barbs on it to be honest but atleast i get a bit more room to play now :D
and that tubing was a bit of an oversight on my part :rolleyes: i really should learn to read a little better before i buy things :(

Looking more and more like a trip into town to get the rest of the peices as soon as my other parts arrive today :mad:

[O-CuK]Marci said:
Didn't realise anyone was selling the D5 with threads in the UK... we only carry the regular version.

You can get buttugly brass fittings for that one from thorite.co.uk - that's about your only choice. Never seen an attractive fitting for those.

That Asetek Waterchill tubing is 1/2" OD, not ID - it'll be a tight fit on everything.

Ahaha Marci i dont believe it but when you said you didnt have the threaded version of that pump i went ahead and ordered
one from yourselfs and when i recieved it today i opened the box and realised you just sent me the exact same D5 pump that
i just sent back to the other place i bought from lol

I had a brainstorm though... as you know i ordered the wrong tubing from the other place and since i sent it all back to the other
store i ordered the red dangerden 1/2" uv tubing from yourselfs along with the D5 vario pump and hose clamps etc and so i though
i should try to fit the tubing over the threads on the pump and its a perfect "tight" fit! So i wont be sending it back this time :beer: cheers!

I'll be leak testing in no time...

meionm said:
#4 I like masterclear 7/16 id tubing but it is hard to put on and take off from plastic barbs. I would pick any tubing but tygon. The thing I have against tygon, is that it is expensive.

Same here 7/16 is AWSOME when ran with 1/2 barbs. :bday:

Ahaha Marci i dont believe it but when you said you didnt have the threaded version of that pump i went ahead and ordered
one from yourselfs and when i recieved it today i opened the box and realised you just sent me the exact same D5 pump that
i just sent back to the other place i bought from lol

Novel - just checked every D5 we have in stock here, and none of em are threaded... all have a permanent 1/2" barb for inlet and outlet - you must've got the only one out of the lot that was incorrect...

I originaly wanted the threaded pump because it makes life easier to swap and change fittings /sizes if and when needed
but i didnt realise it would be so much of a pain to track down the right size hose ends for it, thats the part that ****ed
me off more than anything :mad:

But it's perfect now i have the correct tubing size! if i ordered the right size tube in the first place i would have
been up and running a day earlier with no problems but because i got the smaller ID tubing i didnt think to try
squeezing it over the threads on the pump! it doesnt even need hoze clamps it's so tight although i slapped
some 18/25mm ones on it just incase :p im too scared of leaks and dont want to risk loosing the pc!

Anyhow,
Im up and running, cpu and northbridge cooled nicely and currently benching /testing my old "Socket A" setup :beer:

Back