• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heater core vs. Radiator: fan output

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Linux_Box

I'm new to the forum (been lurking a while) and I'm researching a move to water cooling. I'm eventually going to OC the 3500+ in sig as well as the x850xt video card in it.

I thought I read somewhere that a heater core (like one for the Chevette or Bonneville) requires more air flow (higher cfm) than a purpose built computer radiator (I'm looking at a MCR220 QPK or similar). Since I want a computer that's a bit more on the quiet side than an uber overclock, I would like to use my Loon 120SL (the low output, 47cfm model) to keep things quiet. Is it true a heater core requires more air flow than a MCR220-QPK?

I have more questions but I'll save those till I get a bit more research... and they are a different topic anyway.

Thanks for any input.

Get radiator rather than heater core.

Heatercore require higher cfm fans. It is harder to mount in the case becasue it doesn't come with mouting holes. It requires shroud.

I have been using a heater for some time now, but if you are not into much modding or do not have a simple way to mount a heater core, then go with a rad. There are some really good ones out there like the Black Ice series for example. You can get decent temps with a heater core but as stated you will need a faster, louder, higher CFM fan to make it efficient. I have a 150mm monster on mine and it has worked out well. My heater core is from an '86 Ford ranger and it is 6"x9" which does not fit into most cases. Size id definately something to consider. :beer:

It doesn't need more airflow, less actually. But what a heatercore really needs is more air pressure from the fans along with a shroud. If you use lowspeeds fans you'd need to have them in a pull configuration and shrouded. heatercores prefer 38mm fans because they've increased air pressure to overcome the resistance.

If your not into modding then get a Thermachill rad. They work good with low presure fans. If you don't mind a little work than the Bonny Core works very good with 2 medium to high cfm fans.

I have used chevelle cores all my watercooling career, so I'm biased, but I find that the core is very easy to mount with a bit of threaded rod, which also provides a mount for the fans.

In my systems, the heatercore was never a limiting factor, and really, it is far more likely that the pump and blocks will be the limiting factor for your system too. So I would buy a core and spend the saved money on a better pump or block.

Or if you don't want to deal with threaded rod, synch ties work well. You usually need to use two of them per mounting point, interlocking them together. Bonnies are great radiators. I love mine.

Also the issue of pressure and CFM depends greatly on the radiator. Black Ice Extremes are easily more restrictive than the Bonnie due to the fin spacing and the depth they have. A Black ice Pro however is definitely less restrictive but won't provide the same cooling potential.

I think I'm understanding the concepts now.

If I use a low CFM fan like the Yate Loon SL, a BIP or MCR is a good choice. If I go with a heater core, I should use a 120mmx38 med/high CFM fan (38mm instead of 25mm because of pressure). Am I pretty close there?

Back