• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fastest cpu for p4b266?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roadie

What is the fastest CPU that can successfully be installed on a Asus P4B266 motherboard? I've come across a couple small forum posts where people have said that they are successfully running a 2.8 ghz 533 FSB CPU, is that that fastest that can be run, or can you run the 3.06 ghz 533 FSB CPU as well.

Or how about using any of the 478 socket 800 FSB CPU's, as the bios for the motherboard is capible of going up to 200 mhz, and using some fast ram to help it out, would that be possible? Would that create a 800 FSB? I'd sure like to know so I can get the most out of my old motherboard with out a lot of trial and error or wrecking anything. I am using the most recent bios update available for this motherboard. Please reply. Thanks.

Oh yes I've seen that too. This motherboard has been unsupported and information hasn't been updated by Asus for so long now that everything that they have there is out of date. I know that this motherboard is capable of alot more than what Asus's website will tell anyone, and I'm not looking for what the manufacture says, anyone can go see that, what I'm asking for is what is the maxium CPU that this motherboard can run, I can't have been the first person to have come across this or have thought of it ,some one must know. I'm fairly positive that it can run some 533 fsb CPU's as the motherboard settings in the bios make it all possible, I would like to hear from someone who's already done that so that I can know for sure and save a lot of trial and error, whether it's 2.8 533 or 3.06 533, or any one that has tried socket 478 800 fsb CPU's. Someone out there must know this stuff?

Back