• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 680i *DOA?*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Surfrider77

Got my Evga board for my new build and had everything installed and fired it up with no post. The post LEDs reported "- -". I figured I would try removing devices one by one, but it still wouldnt post.

Then I removed the motherboard and set it on an antistatic surface with only the MB, CPU, and RAM. It now posts code "C 1", which looks like a RAM problem. Perhaps there was a grounding issue mounted in the case at first.

Thing is, I am not entirely certain it is my ram. I have tried combinations of two sticks in the blue slots, two sticks in the black slots, one stick in slot 0, swapped the other stick to slot 0 and it still comes up with the same "C 1" code.

I just find it hard to believe that both sticks of RAM are bad.

My thoughts are to simply RMA the motherboard. Suggestions?

RAM is: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000PHU2-2GBHZ

(now unlisted from Newegg) :/

Man, this sucks harder.

I ordered this board on December 6th, but I only received it last week. I am at a military overseas base and shipping during the holidays is hectic to say the least. By my clock, I missed the RMA by 1 day!!

Are Newegg lenient about things like this, or am I screwed?

**Update**

Well, just got off the phone and Newegg didnt hesitate to issue an RMA. Kudos to them. Lets just hope I have some better luck with a new board.

Last edited:
Did you check on EVGAs website on your memory is compatable?

Also, there are reports that the evga boards are having issues with the Northbridge/Southbridge heat pipe coolers, they have WAY too much thermal paste on them, applied at the factory. After some people cleaned it off, and re-applied with a thin layer of AS5, their problems have vanished!

You might want to check that out, when you receive an RMA.

The boards Default Memory Voltage is set to 1.9 Volts. Your Ram requires 2.1-.2.2 Volts that is where you are running into problems. Try booting with just one stick and see if you can get it to post. If it does go into the BIOS and up the Voltage save and reboot. You should then be ok to power off and put the 2nd stick back in. If you can't get it to post with your RAM then you will have to see if you can find some cheap stick laying around that only requires 1.9 Volts so you can get into the BIOS and change the memory voltage.

Motley said:
Did you check on EVGAs website on your memory is compatable?

Also, there are reports that the evga boards are having issues with the Northbridge/Southbridge heat pipe coolers, they have WAY too much thermal paste on them, applied at the factory. After some people cleaned it off, and re-applied with a thin layer of AS5, their problems have vanished!

You might want to check that out, when you receive an RMA.

I had read about this. Thanks for the post though.

As soon as I received the board, I removed the NB + SB coolers and cleaned them up and applied AS5.

You are absolutely right though. There was enough thermal paste for about 20+ applications on each chip!! I have never seen that much paste on anything.
evga_chipset.jpg

evga_chipsetcooler.jpg

Last edited:
Section8 said:
The boards Default Memory Voltage is set to 1.9 Volts. Your Ram requires 2.1-.2.2 Volts that is where you are running into problems. Try booting with just one stick and see if you can get it to post. If it does go into the BIOS and up the Voltage save and reboot. You should then be ok to power off and put the 2nd stick back in. If you can't get it to post with your RAM then you will have to see if you can find some cheap stick laying around that only requires 1.9 Volts so you can get into the BIOS and change the memory voltage.

You could very well be onto something here! Didnt think of that, but I dont have extra ram lying around to test it out. Hrm, this sux indeed.

What kind of cooler are you using on the processor? because i've gotten that same error "- -" and it was a cooler mounting issue. It wouldn't post, all the lights and fans would spin up but no post. i grabbed the top of the heatsink and gave it some pressure towards the rear of the board and it posted.

Last edited:
Back