• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No thumbnail preview for WMV's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zenoth

Sup guys, I posted what follows in various other discussion forums, and so far I've received no answers. So I'll try here.

You know, usually you would open a folder containing photos or videos for example, and if they are categorized as Miniatures then they would appear with the name of the format, but then it would load up a preview, like the first frame of a video (thumbnail mode, in other words) and a thumbnail of the image.

Well somehow I managed to make all my photo files show a preview, and almost all of the video formats, except for one, WMV files (because the issue spread itself to all my photo/image/video formats first, but now it's inexplicably unique to WMV files).

I remember I tried the "Start > Run > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll" trick, and it might have helped, but I'm not even sure if it even did anything. Then I think I also removed the hidden (system file) Thumbs file in each concerned folders, and then I let Windows create a new one, and that as well might have helped a little but still I'm not sure.

The problem is that the issue is not just in one folder, but system-wide. So to reiterate, as of now only WMV files refuse to show a preview when categorized as Thumbnails/Miniatures.

I would appreciate some help, thanks.

I see you've already tried re-registering the shimgvw.dll file without any success. Open the Run box, and try re-registering the shmedia file...

regsvr32 shmedia.dll

If the above command doesn't fix it, then try this one next...

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll

Wow, so simple.

The first one (regsvr32 shmedia.dll) fixed everything ! Thank you so much sir !

Back