• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Patched my Radiator!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Hey guys, Thanks for the help and recommendations about fixing my leaky rad. I took the barb off and the o-ring was cut in one place... I'm assuming thats why it was leaking... so I applied some permatex to it and boom! no more leak :) Check out the pictures...

P.S. I also made a shroud out of some cardboard I had here at the apt. Does it qualify as ghetto? :) Its dropped my load temperature by about 3C with just the shroud :)

w00t! I'm ghetto now :) lol I think I did a pretty decent job for a quick cutting job on the cardboard... I tried to make it look "professional" by the duct tape :)

Thats cool man. Gives me the idea of making some cardboard shroud for mines.

Well I was originall gonna try the rubbermaid one thats on the OC main page, but my rubbermaid container wasn't quite wide enough, so this is what I came up with instead :)

From your sig, it looks like your just cooling your CPU with the 120x1 Rad. Is that right? I'm looking to get into water cooling but I don't think I can fit a 120x2 anywhere convenient and I'd like to cool both the CPU+GPU.

I like it!

Linux_Box, a single rad can work just fine, it depends on how hot your components are. I'd say where you're at would be fine for a 120mm Black Ice Extreme with a high speed fan and a fan controller. That way when you're not gaming you could turn it down. You may run into problems with the Direct X 10 cards though as they look to be rather hot cards.

My brother ran a Newcastle off of a 120mm BIP without issue.

Ha, great job. I like this title. Professional Cardboard & Duct Tape Modder Haha.

lol ziggo.. thanks :) I was wrong about the load temps.. I just fired up Orthos for like 5 minutes to heat the CPU up to see the initial results.. I had forgotten that originally, running Orthos, the CPU would get up to 41-42C, but it hasn't broken 36C upon further testing... damn... shrouds really do make a difference, huh?

SuperDave1685 said:
lol ziggo.. thanks :) I was wrong about the load temps.. I just fired up Orthos for like 5 minutes to heat the CPU up to see the initial results.. I had forgotten that originally, running Orthos, the CPU would get up to 41-42C, but it hasn't broken 36C upon further testing... damn... shrouds really do make a difference, huh?

Yup ! Nice temps with a single 120.

I've been running a cardboard duct on my LEGO case for a few years. Only had 9, 92 MM fans in it. (And, 2 Bonneville radiators.) The only suggestion I could make, is to use some aluminim tape. Duct tape works, but it comes undone after a few months. Aluminum tape is there forever.

LEGO case is apart, right now. It will be assembled again. Next time, I'm running 2 banks of 2 Bonneville rads, and 27 fans. 9 on the primary cooler, and 12 more on the secondary. I haven't decided about running a Bong cooler. (Yes it will have 3 or 4 complete rigs in it, and at least 2 of them being Prescott stuff. Possibly, my new Conroe rig, based on my AW9D Max board, and my AA8XE as well.)

steve

Actually, I'd recommend some black duct tape. The aluminum tape is hard to apply smoothly. If the black duct tape ever comes off... add more duct tape.

Skou you should just make one large shroud and run ONE fan. Much quieter. :)

dude.. cardboard + duct-tape = gettol33t.. take some lessons from JC and getto comp threads and posts to move up in the getto-moding-class :thup:

SuperDave1685 said:
I took the barb off and the o-ring was cut in one place... I'm assuming thats why it was leaking... so I applied some permatex to it and boom! no more leak :)
Um, why didn't you just replace the o-ring instead of globbing sealant over the fitting?

lol cause I'm poor and I ain't got enough gas to run to the local plumbing store, much less have the money to by an o-ring, so i just used what I had :) and its not globbed over the fitting, as I can still get the tubing on there all the way still

Maviryk said:
Skou you should just make one large shroud and run ONE fan. Much quieter. :)

These 92 MM fans are the ones that Directron used to sell, for 33 cents each. They are VERY quiet. I'd have to run at least 4, 120 MM fans, just to get enough airflow, and I'd need to actually BUY them. (Not for 33 cents, either!):D:D

steve

Back