• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Been a while, not need to upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ib69nu

Been a while, now need to upgrade

My current setup is in my signature, and has been running strong for about 4 years now. With the advent of Windows Vista and dual core processing and DDR2 and SLI, I feel out of the loop so to speak. So now it is upgrade time. After having browsed the forums for about a week, I feel sorta caught up. The upgrade is planned as follows:

Asus s939 mobo (model yet undecided)
Opteron 165 (170)
2gb pc3200
7600gs or gt 256mb

Anyways, my question is this. Is there any way to utilize my current waterblock (swiftech mcw462-u) on a socket 939 board. It has treated me rather well over the past years, and my system has not had a single drop leak. If I cannot use that block, what would be the best option for as little money spent as possible.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly how that block mounts to the socket A format(does it clip to the socket or through the 4 holes around the socket?) but either way, that block looks like it could work without any issues by making a simple adapter plate, which would sit on the top and utilize the 2 mounting holes of the S939 design. S939 uses 2 holes with a backplate so mounting anything to it is rather easy, and there is lots of room around the socket so thats not a problem either.

This block does indeed use the four mounting holes around the socket. Does anybody make a commercially available plate for s939 that could be modded to fit?

Back