• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Excel Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AcesLow

I am trying to create formulas for a weekly time sheet that will add up the time between start and stop time then total it for me in a number format.

Example: Start time: 6:00 AM End time: 3:00 PM We will call start time cell value A1 and end time B1
Separate cell with formula to add the time. We will call it C1

So to get the total time I tried C1=SUM(A1+B1) but all that does is add .6 and .3 Why does it do that? How do I get it to add the hours between start and stop? I feel like an idiot for not knowing how to do this...It should be a simple formula, but it has been over a year since I have touched excel and I can't figure it out.

Can anyone help? :bang head

What is going to make this hard is that you are using a 12 hour clock. If you make it a 24 hour clock it will make the solution a lot easier. I am not sure I am reading it right but C1=A1-B1 would give you the total number of hours worked that day if you use a 24 hour clock.

Right click on the cells you want to be TIME format. Select "Format Cells" and Choose CATEGORY "Time" and TYPE , (choose the type you want).

Once this is done, time differences should calculate correctly.

and FYI, the solution to my problem is =SUM(a2-a1)*24

I wasn't multiplying by the total hours in a day to move the decimal to the correct place...Told you it was a simple mistake.

Back