• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooled NB pics!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mycobacteria

Who has water cooled the NB?
What preformance gains did you get?
Please post some pics.

(I know many of you will say "dont do it it restricts flow")

not many all will say this. The gains will be slight over what you can get with a standard air cooler. The only benefit is that it is quieter. IMO the cons far outway the pros

I had liquid on my NB and found it pointless. A thermalright HR-05 will cool it just as good as a liquid block. I have mine on PASSIVE and never breaks 40c ...

WonderingSoul said:
I had liquid on my NB and found it pointless. A thermalright HR-05 will cool it just as good as a liquid block. I have mine on PASSIVE and never breaks 40c ...

Agreed I have original Fan on my DFI and it caries a 38* on a load temp with 1.60 volts going threw it.....btw I must have a damn quiet fan also because I cant hear any anoying fan noise from mine...

The northbridge block is not that only if you want to build quiet system and northbridge won't get much air. These days there air cooled northbridges that do pretty good job at cooling it.

Depends on what your cooling, a 975, or i680 board will benefit from WCing, I saw benefit on my I955 chipset but the AMD boards dont seem to benefit as much as the intel ones do. Although I havent tested that on the nforce 5 series yet.

Sorry to go a little OT here, but being such a noob, can someone explain to me the difference and location of a North and South bridge?

if your on the super high end of overclocking. as in adding volts to your nb won't allow you to get that 450 FSB that you really want. then it might be in order.

but if you can easily get 400 on air. its worthless.

lokitexas said:
Sorry to go a little OT here, but being such a noob, can someone explain to me the difference and location of a North and South bridge?
In the rotated pic of an Asus P5B Deluxe stolen, errr borrowed under fair use provisions for instructional purposes, from Newegg, the shinny square part in the middle that says Asus is the heatsink on top of the Northbridge. The copper colored bumpy square in the lower right hand corner above the S-ATA plugs is the heatsink on top of the Southbridge. They get their names from their location relative to each other (the top one is North and the bottom one is South) as they're mounted in an ATX tower case--which is why I rotated the pic.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot the function part of the question. Basically the Northbridge handles communication between the CPU and the RAM and the video cards and to the Southbridge. The Southbridge handles communication to everything else in the computer.

Attachments

• ASUS P5B Deluxe rotated_13-131-028-04.jpg
    ASUS P5B Deluxe rotated_13-131-028-04.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
These are all valid points of view but I still want to water cool my NB!

A NB water block is only 15 bucks more than an HR-05. I already have two pumps and two rads, its not goin to hurt my flow that much.

I have cut the heat pipes that lead from my NB to my little moffset rad, on my P5N32 SLI SE. (oh and there was no liquid in the heat pipe and no wick) Which is probably the reason my my NB cooks and my PC locks up.

Now pics plz... especially ones where the NB water block is really close to the GPU.

MVC said:
In the rotated pic of an Asus P5B Deluxe stolen, errr borrowed under fair use provisions for instructional purposes, from Newegg, the shinny square part in the middle that says Asus is the heatsink on top of the Northbridge. The copper colored bumpy square in the lower right hand corner above the S-ATA plugs is the heatsink on top of the Southbridge. They get their names from their location relative to each other (the top one is North and the bottom one is South) as they're mounted in an ATX tower case--which is why I rotated the pic.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot the function part of the question. Basically the Northbridge handles communication between the CPU and the RAM and the video cards and to the Southbridge. The Southbridge handles communication to everything else in the computer.

Thank you much!! I appreciate it.

And Myco...I say do what you want to do :)

here are some of my old rig.

LIQUID_1-1.jpg

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4429.jpg

I got my NB water block!

Its on the same loop as my CPU works great and I havent noticed an increase in the CPU temps at all.

Considering its 15 dollars more than the thermal right HR-05 thing its not bad value.

I can now OC my ram just that little bit more it only made a 40 Mhz increase difference but I'm happy with the results.

N.B. This MB came with a heat pipe for the NB but, I cut it off with a hack saw. I thought that there would be some liquid in the heat pipe but there was none at all.

Last edited:
Back