• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conroe motherboard reccomendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Antioch

Hi guys. I current have an e6700, Striker Extreme, and an 8800GTX. Sufficed to say, the Striker has underperformed and left me with a sour taste in my mouth. It doesn't really work well at all and practically overheats. It's not worth what you pay for it (no matter how good a deal you get).

When I was planning my current setup I got caught up in the whirlwind of the 680i chipset and didn't bother researching anything else. Now that the 680i is in the wild and enough people have their hands on them to really know how they perform (or don't) I've decided to switch boards. Luckily I should still have a few days left on my return window for the Striker.

So I need a new motherboard and I'd like to hear some recommendations. I don't plan on SLIing my GFX cards or doing any seriously hardcore gaming, but I do want performance computing - which is why I'm looking for a motherboard that will get me to at least 400MHz FSB with plenty of room to spare. No need for RAID and no need for IDE connectors (I have 2 SATA HDs and an SATA DVDRW).

Right now I'm looking at the ASUS P5B-Deluxe. I've heard that it can get up to 450 FSB (Is this true?) and that it's northbridge performs well.

Anyways, I'd like to see that the community thinks is the best board to go with right now.

Thanks.

The Asus P5B-Deluxe has OC'd as high as 570FSB that I recall clearly avearge ones still clock at least 520.

almost any C2D motherboard will overclock to 400FSB including i680's (the i680's take alot more tweeking) a few MSI motherboards don't do so hot.

so.. if your not going with ambaint cooling methods.. pretty much any 975X (DFI tough but doable, MSI and offbrands skip), 965P (skip ECS(and poor name brands) and MSI)...

I'd skip the DFI board. ABIT or ASUS would be my choice. I had the ASUS P5W-DH and I can tell you that it was one heck of a board. Pulled my E6400 to 3.44 GHz. :)

Yea. I've seen the commando. It looks to be the same as any other 965 board, I just have a feeling it will be difficult to get my hands on it for a few months.

Back