• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Svchost.exe help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeezleXX89

hey guy i got attacked with a virus i can seem to delete which maxed my CPU percentage, slow internet and hard to access folders. I called my buddy James and he said that its a virus read whats in you task manager. I said a bunch of svchost.exe. He said its a virus. what did i do? I beleived my buddy and i deleted the file Which was important i guess. when i restated my computer, theres, no start bar and i can access my computer. what do i do to fix this?

Thanks
Weezlexx89

Yea, never delete that file. Anywho, to retrieve it:

If you deleted svchost.exe from your system32 folder follow these steps:

Boot from your Windows XP disk and use recovery console, follow the onscreen stuff and put the admin password in that you setup when you installed windows, you should now be at a prompt EXAMPLE: C:\WINDOWS>

At the end of the prompt type: cd F:\I386
F is the letter of the drive where your XP disk is so you will need to change it to your drive letter. The prompt should now be F:\I386>

After the prompt type: Expand svchost.ex_ C:\windows\system32
C is the letter of you HD were windows XP is installed, needs to be changed accordingly. At the prompt type: exit
Your sytem will re-boot and you will now have a copy of svchost.exe in your system32 folder again.

after that I would boot to safe mode, run a virus scan both offline and online, run Adaware, Spybot, CWshredder, CCleaner, and HijackThis and enter the log in here

oh, and try to stay off the internet with the pc till you get it fixed as it will just get worse

Svchost.exe is a used to run services. In your case, there was probably a virus which names its executable Svchost.exe and you deleted the wrong one. Or, it could have been a virus running under a legitimate Svchost.exe.

At any rate, reformatting and reinstalling was probably the best course of action.

also how can you tell which is which. can i go to search and type the svchost.exe and delete the one that doesn't say location win32 or is there more that i shouldn't touch?

Back