• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

680i vcore overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thegamer36

Registered
I am new to the core 2 duo arena. I am looking for a little advice and suggestions.

Here are my specs:
EVGA 680i
Intel E6600
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) PC8000
XFX 8800GTX
Sound Blaster Extreme Music

The system is water cooled. Water cooling specs:
PA120.3 radiator
Swiftech Storm cpu block
Swiftech MCW60 gpu block
Swiftech Hydrx Coolant
3 Yate Loon 120mm fans for the rad

I am currently running a 1.45 vcore at 3.5ghz.
Temps are 52c at load and 38c to 40c at idle.

Are these temperatures ok for this vcore?

I am not stable at 3.6ghz on 1.45 vcore.
To get a stable 3.6ghz I need to raise the vcore to >1.5. Is that vcore to high? What temperatures should I being seeing with this vcore?

I noticed my gpu temps went from 58c with stock cooler to 42c with the MCW60.

Any thoughts or suggestions on getting more out of the E6600?
This is my first time with water cooling and I am just trying to see i everything is where it should be.

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions.

Yeah those temps are perfectly fine. Depends on the chip you get but I have seen a lot of E6600's running at 3.7 GHZ with just a little more Vcore than you are using.

What's the max vcore I can safely run at with the water cooling system I stated above?

thegamer36 said:
What's the max vcore I can safely run at with the water cooling system I stated above?

Below is a cut and paste from Intel's website:

sSpec Number: SL9S8
CPU Speed: 2.40 GHz
PCG: 06
Bus Speed: 1066 MHz
Bus/Core Ratio: 9.0
L2 Cache Size: 4 MB
L2 Cache Speed: 2.4 GHz

Package Type: LGA 775
Manufacturing Technology: 65 nm
Core Stepping: B2
CPUID String: 06F6h
Thermal Design Power: 65W
Thermal Specification: 60.1°C
Core Voltage: 0.850V-1.3525V

Product Documentation: http://www.intel.com/design/core2duo/documentation.htm

The thermal specification is what Intel means as the maximum operating temperature measeured at the geometric center of the heat spreader.
It does not mean that a CPU will fail if that temperature is exceeded. At lease the CPU might not fail within a minute, hour, week, month or year.

I think that most people know that heat is the enemy of semiconductors and resistance goes up as heat goes up and, with more resistance more heat is generated.

Anecdotal evidence (posts on the internet, etc.) seems to indicate that some people are running C2D at over 60C without detrimental effects . . . that they know about or are willing to post.

So make an informed descision, and balance the risks and the rewards. One risk is shorter CPU lifetime and one reward is faster processing. You decide how much is the right balance for you.

Back