• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melaphystos

Registered
I have a Gigabyte radiator (the one in the Galaxy II kit) [120MM]. Now it does do its job, but I was wondering if I should switch to a different one (as everyone says that cooling kits aren't really up to par).

But if I did, what kind of temp difference would I be looking at? Like only 1-2? or more like 5-9C?

If it's only for a little gain then I just don't see the need to change it.

:welcome:

What is your current computer config, rad placement and temps?

A new radiator can make a substantial difference sometimes. All depends on how its designed and also how you have it installed.

I think it's hard to say for sure, but since that kit cools the CPU and VID, I would think that a 2x120mm RAD or better would probably drop temps by a few degrees. But I doubt it would be more than 5c But that is just a guess. Just looking at a few reviews of the kit, it looks like the temps are only a few degrees higher than the Swiftech Apex H20-220 kit. (which IMO is a great kit) So I'd think that you could probably get 2-3c decrease. Hard to say with the pump in the Galaxy kit. It only has ~100GPH flow. No clue what the head pressure is though, so I don't know if a larger RAD drastically change the flow rate, or if it would just be a minor difference.

I have the Gigabyte Galaxy 3 water cooling kit. Thermaltake Full size tower armor series. EVGA nforce 680i sli, E6600.

The radiator is mounted on the back. Only the CPU is in the water chain. Res/pump is inside the case. There are 2 120mm case fans and 2 90mm case fans, so I have decent air flow.

I get about 50C average, and 65C with Orthos. My FSB is 1556, 1.41v

System temp averages 37C

personally, I would look to upgrade that pump before the radiator, I have found that the pump and waterblock are more often than not where the bottlenecks in performance are. Of course every system is different, but that's my 2 cents.

The Kit said to mount the rad there...but the case has 2 back exits, a 120 mm and a 90mm, I turned off the 120mm and mounted the rad there (on the outside).

Could you guys recommend some effective Rads?

Back