• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fragment a drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
does anyone know a way to Fragment a drive quickly to certian levels

If you mean fragment as in break up the files so that you can review defragmenting programs or something, then nothing that will perform the same amount of fragmenting every time BUT

Set a dynamic pagefile reduce system RAM and set a huge recyvle bin, and temporary internet folders. Goto a lot of video sites (like you tube, copy and delte some really large files around your hdd, and do this for a couple of hours.

Alternatively, a fresh install of XP pro ends up around 30% fragmented IIRC. (unless you have a pretweaked install disk)

no i need to test several different things it has to be a little more scientific than that

I thought for sure I had heard of a script that could do this, but my Google-Fu seems to be failing me at the moment.

If you're just doing tests of defrag software like Neur0mancer mentioned, you might want to image an already-fragmented drive. I'm sure you could come across somebody you know who hasn't run defrag in a good few years :)

JigPu

yea

thanks to the red tape i don't have privilege's to image anyone else's drive and its unclear if i even have privilege's to do my own ( i know a weird corporate world we live in)

this is kinda of a on my own time study so that i can start a project to get his done.

Easy, copy several 1GB+ files onto the drive interspersed with 4-5 large program installations. You can duplicate this exactly for each test. As far as I know there's no quick method. It would be helpful to use a smaller drive for the tests.

El<(')>Maxi said:
Easy, copy several 1GB+ files onto the drive interspersed with 4-5 large program installations. You can duplicate this exactly for each test. As far as I know there's no quick method. It would be helpful to use a smaller drive for the tests.

You can duplicate the process exactly, but not the actual fragmentation. I can't think of a quick method offhand.

The only repeatable method would be to image an already-fragmented drive, and reuse that image.

I would imagine there is an imaging program that doesn't make the files contiguous as it packs them. So fragment the drive and then just create an image of it with said program. I'd say you're wasting your time "testing" defragmentation software though. The benefits of smarter defragmenters as far as filesystem performance is concerned are dubious at best.

Back