• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guide to Symantec Norton Ghost -- Jan 07, 2007

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Regarding the Guide to Symantec Norton Ghost article posted on January 07, 2007 here: http://www.overclockers.com/tips1254

It brings memories from 2003:

I've been reading experienced members' posts here about how Windows Update messed up their system and they had to reinstall Windows from scratch. Having used drive imaging for years, it's nothing short of amazing to realize that only a hand full of people think this is a good idea.

Thinking how many *24-hour days* of time it saved me in the past two years alone, I would pay as much as the entire value of my computer system for it if I had to. :)

Powerquest Drive Image 2002 (nicer interface) or Norton Ghost use a start up floppy to backup your entire hard drive to multiple CDRs or as large files on another drive partition. This is particularly useful if you partition your hard drive (Powerquest Partition Magic is excellent for this) first, then install your operating system onto C drive and then all large Apps on other drives. You than backup the C drive which contains Windows (+maybe a few other small programs).

When (it will be when, not if) Windows breaks down or starts giving you errors, you replace your C drive with backed up version of it, and things are just as they used to be when you backed them up first. I also keep a txt file where I write changes and tweaks I made to the original installation, that way, when I reinstall from backup, I make those changes, than save on CDR's again and so on every few months.

Originally, it took me days to reinstall Windows and get things back the way I like them. It now takes minutes with the help of Drive Image 2002 or Norton Ghost. Just make sure you change location of Favorites, Desktop and Start Menu, (CUT and PASTE from C:\Windows will do) since they require more frequent backup, so if you have them on another drive, restoring C drive would not replace them. (+ Remember not to keep any documents on C drive.)

Every setting in every application is just the way you first set it. (Every menu size, every font size, every icon.) Registry backup is no substitute for organized quick C Drive backup/restore.

I defragment my drives and use ScanDisk but nothing makes my PC go faster than restoring a backup made just after I first setup things the way I prefer...

c627627
July 13, 2003

Last edited:
Originally posted on August 25, 2004:

Hello. Even though floppy drives are now $5 at most local corner computer stores, you don't have to use floppies, just start the program from within Windows to save Drive Image files to either another partition or directly to CDs. Drive Image 2002 can do this + when it makes the backup CDs, it makes them automatically bootable: the CDs boot up with the Drive Image program which runs directly from those backup CDs since the program only takes 1.5 MBs of space or so.

Watch out for people making fun of other people without floppy drives, like this guy here: ( :) j/k )

bad4u said:
Is it a 'cool factor' thing to build a system without a floppy? Are floppies too retro?

How cool is it when the only method you have to flash your BIOS is via Windows, and your system is unstable? That's an outstanding formula for smoking your BIOS chip!

There are numerous diagnostic programs and utilities that are written to run only from a floppy. Perhaps you won't need them, but you probably will find them useful.

Get a floppy. Hide it when your friends are visiting. Buy one just before store-closing, so no one sees you.

= = =

If you already have the Drive Image or Partition Magic floppies, you can make a bootable CD out of them since the CD loads faster than a floppy drive. I couldn't find clear instructions on the web on how to do this so I made my own which I can share with you all:

How to make Drive Image 2002 and Partition Magic 8 bootable CD

Simply taking Drive Image 2002 or Partition Magic 8 bootable floppies and making a bootable CD out of them does not work.

The contents of the following three floppy disks will be needed instead:
• Windows 98 installation floppy
• Drive Image 2002 Program floppy
• Partition Magic 8 Program floppy

========

1. To make Drive Image start automatically, edit AUTOEXEC.BAT file of the Windows 98 installation floppy with Notepad by adding

PQDI
to the end of the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

[AUTOEXEC.BAT is a system file, to see it, you need to go to Tools > Folder Options > View TAB >
UNCHECK: Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) > OK]

2. Copy the contents of Windows 98 installation floppy into a new folder; name it DIPM.
3. Copy the contents of Drive Image 2002 Program floppy into DIPM folder (do not overwrite existing files) then
4. Inside the new folder DIPM, create a new folder; name it PM.
5. Copy the contents of Partition Magic 8 Program floppy into the new PM folder.

6. Copy file MOUSE.COM from PM folder to DIPM folder so that both of them have MOUSE.COM files.

========

Now crate a bootable CD:

1. Put the Windows 98 installation floppy in the floppy drive. [If you have no floppy drive, skip the next set of instructions.]

2. Start Nero Burning Rom (click on Close Wizard if it starts.)
3. On the left side, select CD-ROM Boot (scroll down.)
4. Wait for the floppy to load, then click on New (right upper side.)

5. Add all the contents of the folder DIPM created above and Burn the CD.

========

To use this bootable CD,

1. Start the computer with the bootable CD [One way to do that is by selecting the boot order in BIOS.] Drive Image automatically starts. Use "Low" compression (not "High" or "None") for fastest drive imaging.

2. To use PartitionMagic, exit to DOS. When you get to DOS prompt, [if the CD drive letter is D], type:

D:
Press Enter
CD PM
Press Enter
PQMAGIC.EXE
Press Enter

========

If you have no floppy drive:

1. Folder containing the contents of the Windows 98 installation floppy (that were downloaded to your computer) should be named for example, 98.

2. Start WinImage program > File > New... > OK
3. Image > Inject... > Select all files in the 98 folder > Open > Yes
4. File Save As... >
where it says File name type for example IMAGE
where it says Save as type, select Image file (*.IMA)
> Save

Exit WinImage and use the newly crated image.IMA file in Nero Burning ROM like this:

5. Start Nero Burning Rom (click on Close Wizard if it starts.)
6. On the left side, select CD-ROM Boot (scroll down)
7. Click on Boot TAB > under Source of boot image data, select Image file > Browse to image.IMA file and select it.
8. Click on New (right upper side)

9. Add all the contents of the folder DIPM created above and Burn the CD.

Last edited:
How do I make a bootable CD for XP?

I have DI and my full boot drive imaged to D:\Drive Image.

By the way, I wouldn't be without a floppy drive on any computer either! :thup: :D

If you mean a bootable CD for Drive Image, detailed instructions are in post above yours.

If you mean a bootable Windows XP installation CD, go to Google and type
how to make a bootable Windows XP CD
you'll get plenty of hits with pictures etc.

I would create an integrated Windows XP with Service Pack 2 installation CD.
Go to Google and type
slipstream windows XP Service Pack 2

Slipstreaming is creating an integrated installation of original install + service packs. Good luck.

c627627 said:
If you mean a bootable CD for Drive Image, detailed instructions are in post above yours.

If you mean a bootable Windows XP installation CD, go to Google and type
how to make a bootable Windows XP CD
you'll get plenty of hits with pictures etc.

I would create an integrated Windows XP with Service Pack 2 installation CD.
Go to Google and type
slipstream windows XP Service Pack 2

Slipstreaming is creating an integrated installation of original install + service packs. Good luck.

C6,

I receive a full business SP2 update from time to time (~272 MB) but it's not integrated or slipstreamed with a Windows XP Pro CD. Same difference only not quite as convenient?

And yes, I meant a bootable CD for DI to reinstall an image, sorry I wasn't clear on that. Just wanted to be sure a bootable DI CD in your example of Win 98 wasn't any different or doesnt present any surprises for XP Pro. Thank much!

Yeah. Where it says 'Windows 98,' that just means Windows 98 boot disk... a startup floppy that boots the system before Windows is installed, without going into Windows.

So you get a CD that automatically boots Drive Image 2002 clean, no Windows.

I would definitely look into making slipstreamed CD of Windows XP + Service Pack 2 integrated and do fresh installs from such a CD. Some people even integrated post Service Pack fixes. I personally use XP+SP2 integrated CD then update from there.

Here's one of the links you get when you search for this, just follow it carefully.
http://www.tacktech.com/Software.cfm?sc=windows2000xp2003

The other slipstream CDs I like to make are MS Office Slipstream CDs (even though I prefer WordPerfect :))

However, Slipstream instructions for MS Office available everywhere s-u-c-k.

So here are mine, I never posted them anywhere.

Last edited:
Microsoft Office 2003 Slipstreaming - how to make an installation CD with integrated

...service packs

EDIT FOR SP-3:

You will need a 117 MB administrative update Service Pack 3 for Office 2003. (Not the smaller client SP-3.)
Service Pack 3 contains all updates included in SP1 and SP2, as well as updates released after SP2.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...49-3E13-433B-B9D2-5E3C1132F206&displaylang=en

Here's how to create an installation CD of MS Office 2003 with integrated SP-1, SP-2 & SP-3:

1. Insert Microsoft Office 2003 CD and place administrative update Service Pack 2 file Office2003SP3-KB923618-FullFile-ENU.exe to C:\ drive.

2. Create two temporary Directories C:\Office and C:\Update
then insert the original Office 2003 CD into the CD drive.

3. Start Menu > Run... > type the following and click on OK (or press the Enter key):
x:\setup.exe /a
(where x represents the letter of the CD drive.)

4. Office 2003 Administrative Setup will run, and the Administrative Installation window will appear.
Type in any company name (or not), and this CD key
Edited ;)

Make sure Install Location: is C:\Office\

After entering this information, click on Next, and allow the installation to complete.

It's going to appear to be installing, but in fact, the files are being copied to your hard drive.
It will take several minutes for the entire contents of CD to be extracted into the C:\Office folder.

5. Start Menu > Run... > type the following and click on OK (or press the Enter key):
C:\Office2003SP3-KB923618-FullFile-ENU.exe /T:C:\Update /C
Click on Yes when asked.

6. Start Menu > Run... > Paste the following and click on OK (or press the Enter key):
msiexec /p C:\Update\MAINSP3.msp /a C:\Office\PRO11.MSI shortfilenames=true /qb

The Office 2003 Setup window will appear and will take several minutes to update.

7. Once that is done, you'll need to update the web components:
Start Menu > Run... > Paste the following and click on OK (or press the Enter key):
msiexec /p C:\Update\OWC11SP3.msp /a C:\Office\OWC11.MSI shortfilenames=true /qb

C:\Office now contains Microsoft Office 2003 installation files with all the updates inluded in Service packs 1, 2 & 3 integrated.

Burn a CD with the contents of C:\Office folder.

To update any existing version of MS Office 2003, double click on SETUP.EXE on MS Office 2003 CD with integrated Service Pack 3 and choose to update an existing installation.

All installed components will automatically be updated to Service Pack 3.

OLD POST for SP-2.
You will need a 101 MB administrative update Service Pack 2 for Office 2003. (Not the 49.3 client SP-2.)
Service Pack 2 contains all updates included in SP1, as well as updates released after SP1.

Here's how to create an installation CD of MS Office 2003 with integrated SP-1 & SP-2:

1. Insert Microsoft Office 2003 CD and place administrative update Service Pack 2 file Office2003SP2-KB887616-FullFile-ENU.exe to C:\ drive.

then insert the original Office 2003 CD into the CD drive.

3. Start Menu > Run... > type the following and click on OK (or press the Enter key):

4. Office 2003 Administrative Setup will run, and the Administrative Installation window will appear.
xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx [Edit: oh-oh :)]

Make sure Install Location: is C:\Office\

After entering this information, click on Next, and allow the installation to complete.

It's going to appear to be installing, but in fact, the files are being copied to your hard drive.
It will take several minutes for the entire contents of CD to be extracted into the C:\Office folder.

5. Start Menu > Run... > type the following and click on OK (or press the Enter key):
C:\Office2003SP2-KB887616-FullFile-ENU.exe /T:C:\Update /C
Click on Yes when asked.

6. Start Menu > Run... > Paste the following and click on OK (or press the Enter key):
msiexec /p C:\Update\MAINSP2ff.msp /a C:\Office\PRO11.MSI shortfilenames=true /qb

The Office 2003 Setup window will appear and will take several minutes to update.

7. Once that is done, you'll need to update the web components:
Start Menu > Run... > Paste the following and click on OK (or press the Enter key):
msiexec /p C:\Update\OWC11SP2ff.msp /a C:\Office\OWC11.MSI shortfilenames=true /qb

C:\Office now contains Microsoft Office 2003 installation files with all the updates inluded in Service packs 1 & 2 integrated.

To update any existing version of MS Office 2003, double click on SETUP.EXE on MS Office 2003 CD with integrated Service Pack 2 and choose to update an existing installation.

All installed components will automatically be updated to Service Pack 2.

Last edited:
Microsoft Office XP Slipstreaming - how to make an installation CD with integrated

...service packs

You will need administrative update Service Pack 3 for Office XP. (Not the SP-3 found under Microsoft's Downloads > Downloads for Office XP > Office XP.)
Service Pack 3 contains all updates included in SP1 and SP2, as well as updates released after SP2.

Here's how to create an installation CD of MS Office XP with integrated SP-1 & SP-2 & SP-3:

NOTE: THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR THE CORPORATE VERSION OF OFFICE XP.

1. Insert Microsoft Office XP CD and place administrative update Service Pack 3 file OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe to C:\ drive.

then insert the original Office XP CD 1 into the CD drive.

4. Office XP Administrative Setup will run, and the Administrative Installation window will appear.
When you get to the window that says "Office will be installed to the following location,"
make sure to install it to C:\Office

C:\OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe /T:C:\Update /C
Click on Yes when asked.

msiexec /p C:\Update\MAINSP3ff.msp /a C:\Office\PROPLUS.MSI SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb

The Office XP Setup window will appear and will take several minutes to update.

C:\Office now contains Microsoft Office XP installation files with all the updates inluded in Service packs 1 & 2 & 3 integrated.

To update any existing version of MS Office XP, double click on SETUP.EXE on MS Office XP CD with integrated Service Pack 3 and choose to update an existing installation.

Last edited:
Microsoft Office 2000 Slipstreaming - how to make an installation CD with integrated

...service packs

You will need administrative update Service Pack 3 for Office 2000. (Not the SP-3 found under Microsoft's Downloads > Downloads for Office 2000 > Office 2000.)
Service Pack 3 includes Service Pack 2 and all updates released after Service Release 1a.
It does NOT include updates from Service Release 1a which needs to be installed first.

You will also need administrative update SR1a for Office 2000. (Not the SR1a found under Microsoft's Downloads > Downloads for Office 2000 > Office 2000.)

Here's how to create an installation CD of MS Office 2000 with integrated Service Release 1a
& SP-2 & SP-3:

1. Insert Microsoft Office 2000 CD and place administrative update SR1a file data1.exe and administrative update SP-3 file o2ksp3a.exe to C:\ drive.

2. Create three temporary directories: C:\Office and C:\SR1a and C:\SP3

4. Office 2000 Administrative Setup will run, and the Administrative Installation window will appear.
When you get to the window that says "Office will be installed to the following location,"
make sure to install it to C:\Office

After entering this information, click on Install Now, and allow the installation to complete.

C:\data1.exe /T:C:\SR1a /C

6. Start Menu > Run... > type the following and click on OK (or press the Enter key):
C:\o2ksp3a.exe /T:C:\SP3 /C
Click on Yes when asked.

7. Start Menu > Run... > Paste the following and click on OK (or press the Enter key):
MSIEXEC.EXE /A C:\Office\DATA1.MSI /P C:\SR1a\DATA1.MSP SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /QB+

8. Start Menu > Run... > Paste the following and click on OK (or press the Enter key):
MSIEXEC.EXE /A C:\Office\DATA1.MSI /P C:\SP3\MAINSP3FF.MSP SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /QB+

The following will only execute if two CD version of MS Office 2000 is used:

9. Start Menu > Run... > Paste the following and click on OK (or press the Enter key):
MSIEXEC.EXE /A C:\Office\DATA1.MSI /P C:\SP3\ARTSP3ff.msp SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /QB+

10. Start Menu > Run... > Paste the following and click on OK (or press the Enter key):
MSIEXEC.EXE /A C:\Office\DATA1.MSI /P C:\SP3\SP3CD2FF.MSP SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /QB+

C:\Office now contains Microsoft Office 2000 installation files with all the updates included in Service Release 1a & Service Pack 2 & Service Pack 3 integrated.

To update any existing version of MS Office 2000, double click on SETUP.EXE on MS Office 2000 CD with integrated Service Pack 3 and choose to update an existing installation.

Last edited:
You can't really integrate Microsoft Office 95&97 with fixes & patches easily.

By the way, you can also integrate WordPerfect Office with Service Packs but not as many people use it :( even though imho it is better than Microsoft Office.

Last edited:
Try using Acronis TrueImage, it's awesome, you can image a disk from windows and restore it from CD, uses any kind of backup medium from HDD to disks to USB 2.0 from the recovery disk no less, you can also mount an image as a drive letter to access files from a corrupted install after you have reinstalled Windows. I've made it a habit that when anyone wants me to fix their computer (happens 3-4 times a month) the first thing I do is image their hard drive

Right, they're all supposed to do that.

One thing about Acronis and all other software like that (except for PowerQuest Drive Image 2002) is you need to specify *everything* and do so *every time* before you reimage.

Only Drive Image 2002 lets you do it once, it then remembers everything and lets you reimage with a couple of clicks from then on.

That means it's faster to reimage than to diagnose most Windows problems.

DI 2002 is version 6 and there also was a (last) version 7.

But only version 6 saves settings, version 7 and all other software I ever tried make you go through the long setup process *every time.* I don't understand why.

I mean if my Windows *coughs*, I nuke it in 2 minutes with DI 2002.
I can't do that with Acronis because I can spare 2 minutes to nuke & reimage with DI 2002 but not five or ten minutes Acronis and others require. ;)

Back