• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about vinegar

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andylihaha

Is this kind of vinegar good for cleanning waterblocks and/or radiators?
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100536&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod373799

I have used something so called white rice vinegar on the copper side of my waterblock. I let it sit there for like 10 - 20 minutes, then after i wiped out the vinegar, i saw black stain all around. Then i tried to wash it with hot water, the black stain now became kind of white. So now my block has been seriously stained.

So how can i remove them? is the vinegar i listed good to do that job?

Lemon juice is another weak acid you can use to clean Copper. Be aware that any of these substances are corroding your block and radiator. Vinegar should be diluted when used to rinse a radiator or block. If you don't dilute then don't leave it in contact with the metal very long. It is technically possible to completely dissolve your block/rad using vinegar.

Also realize you are creating a nice fresh Copper surface which is much more reactive to outside substances. Nice shiny Copper is not as stable chemically as Copper with a dull brownish finish. When you ran hot water over the newly exposed Copper, you encouraged a chemical reaction to occur.

Finally, make sure you use a corrosion inhibitor in your system.

My $0.02

thanks all for your replies.

@CoachB22,
So that was a chemical reaction of my block. but does it affect any performance of the block? when i wash it with vinegar or ketchup, will it be shiny again?

and for the rad, if i want to soak it with vinegar overnight, then i have to dilute the vinegar first? and how would be a good ratio of water/vinegar?

andylihaha,

I would recommend a 15 minute soak with straight vinegar, followed by a coldwater rinse, then a vigorous hotwater rinse, followed by a distilled water flush. What you really want to do is remove any loose particles and construction debris/oils. The Copper doesn't have to be shiny. In fact it won't stay shiny long anyway.
As for the staining on the block, as long as there is no residue that you can rub off, it will be fine. All you did with the hotwater is cause oxidation of the shiny surface to occur quickly. Copper naturally forms an oxide layer on it's surface that actually protects the underlying layers. This usually occurs slowly.
I work in the water supply industry and we adjust the drinking water chemistry to encourage the formation of that non-reactive oxide layer. This reduces the publics exposure to plumbing materials that might dissolve in the water like Copper and Lead and other metals.
If you want, shine the block up with ketchup and rinse with cool water. Then let it be. It will work just fine.

CoachB22 said:
andylihaha,

I would recommend a 15 minute soak with straight vinegar, followed by a coldwater rinse, then a vigorous hotwater rinse, followed by a distilled water flush. What you really want to do is remove any loose particles and construction debris/oils. The Copper doesn't have to be shiny. In fact it won't stay shiny long anyway.
As for the staining on the block, as long as there is no residue that you can rub off, it will be fine. All you did with the hotwater is cause oxidation of the shiny surface to occur quickly. Copper naturally forms an oxide layer on it's surface that actually protects the underlying layers. This usually occurs slowly.
I work in the water supply industry and we adjust the drinking water chemistry to encourage the formation of that non-reactive oxide layer. This reduces the publics exposure to plumbing materials that might dissolve in the water like Copper and Lead and other metals.
If you want, shine the block up with ketchup and rinse with cool water. Then let it be. It will work just fine.

excellent answers that helped me alot. I will do the ketchup things with my block later tonight.

another question, would nickel plated brass/copper barbs have corrosion problem with other copper like rad, and the block?

and thanks again, Coach, :beer: :beer: :)

Back