• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New setup, need a little advice...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HSEDuster

Sounds typical I'm sure, but it is true. I have been out of the computer loop for some time since I have been busy (erm, Navy deployments and all, I have been using a laptop for a while now), but after buying my brother a brand new desktop, I have an urge to get my own again. Since I live in my own room now, I could do this. So, going by what was asked I provide in the "how to ask questions" sticky, let me explain:

Budget: About $1500. I could stretch it to $2000, but this includes case, PSU, hard drive, and cooling gear.

Equipment: Well, none yet, but Im going to start slowly buying everything in a couple says (starts on payday). The PSU I want is the 1kW Enermax, but I might scale back to the 850 to save a few bucks. I'm thinking about a 250-300 Gb HDD, and of course a full tower case. I always wanted a full tower, so thats non-negotiable. I also want to run an Athlon, eventually. Yes yes I know the core 2's or whatever intel has out out-preforms the athlon in about everything, but Im still an AMD fan. Im also a Radeon fan, but I wont be getting the processor or GPU until way later when DX10 and all that stuff comes out.

Case Mods: Oh sure, I dont mind slicing and dicing my case as long as its not in half. I dont have much in the way of tools though. I could buy a few, but no dremel here. I do have one at home though, so I could always do that at a later date.

As for the actual water cooling setup, I really dont want to spare any expenses on getting the best possible equipment. So far I was thinking about a SwiftTech Storm block, and a black ice extreme III radiator. Like I said I have been out of the loop for a while, so I dont know if these are the most up to date stuff, but from what I have seen, they should be a decent start.

Im going to wait a while before I purchase my mega-super-duper setup, that is, the newest DX10 GPU, and latest quad core AMD chip, whatever it may be. And by a while I mean six months to a year (about how long I have left in Japan). In the mean time, I want to go with a lower end setup that I can play with overclocking-wise and still be able to play games. I think about anything I would get will be beating my current gaming laptop (which is hardly such, its an HP Pavillion dv600 with an AMD Turion64 X2 2.somethingGhz. With an nVidia geForce 6150). I was actually going to go with an old (apparently now ancient) socket A processor, but I may go with something a bit more modern. I dont suppose anyone has any suggestions for a simple CPU/GPU setup that together wouldnt run me mroe than say $400. Max. Preferably a cheap(er) motherboard too.

Look forward to some assistance, I could do this on my own, but a little help never hurt.

Back