• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

680i problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkS

What are the biggest problems with the 680i chipset and what, if anything, is being done about them? I've heard that there is a problem with hardrive data corruption, but I have not heard what is being done about this. I'd like to know more about the problem as well.

I was about to purchase a 680i MB, but now I'm not too sure this is a good idea.

Hard drive issues seem to stem around SATA / Raid issues. There was a recent bios P23 that claimed to have fixed it, although for every person that says that bios fixed their problems, there seems to be an equal number complaining it didnt help at all. (Some need to completely reformat, but I digress)

There have been issues also with using a PS2 keyboard vs USB.

I would try and find RAM that tolerates 1.8v. Alot of people (myself included) bought higher-end ram that requires 2.2v to operate. The motherboard is set default to 1.8, so the higher voltage ram tends to post with C1 memory errors. the only workaround I have seen is to get a cheap stick of RAM to allow you to boot into the bios and make your voltage changes, then swap in your good ram and youre good to go. (Until you need a CMOS reset) Huge PITA, I know.

Those are the main highlights.

My board was DOA with "- -" during post attempts. I am still waiting on the Egg for a replacement.

If you do go 680i, good luck... it seems luck is what it comes down to.

alot of the intel chipset boards had the ram issue early on.. most of the better sets could boot at 1.8Vdimm if you used a single stick in the first slot, got in changed the Vdimm setting then installed the other stick, problem averted.

SATA problems, they have a hotfix and the P23 bios.. thats about all thats been done for it and some still say that they still have issues.

greenmaji said:
alot of the intel chipset boards had the ram issue early on.. most of the better sets could boot at 1.8Vdimm if you used a single stick in the first slot, got in changed the Vdimm setting then installed the other stick, problem averted.

This doesnt work for all. I tried swapping my pair for 1 stick to get to BIOS, but it would always throw the C1 error. Myself and a few others had to buy a "boot stick". Basically, a cheap 1.8v stick to get in to change the BIOS.

Another $40 wasted for poor engineering.

I had one,worked great for about two weeks,it went down hill from there,I would wait to see what comes up to see if Nvidia is going to address these problems,check out the EVGA forums for more info.
I do plan to get another if they fix the problems,until then I went with a P5B Deluxe until then..

Surfrider77 said:
This doesnt work for all. I tried swapping my pair for 1 stick to get to BIOS, but it would always throw the C1 error. Myself and a few others had to buy a "boot stick". Basically, a cheap 1.8v stick to get in to change the BIOS.

Another $40 wasted for poor engineering.
You also have higher then the normal DDR-800 cas4 spd'd ram Volage requirements with those bad boys ;)

caugh.. PC2-8000 ...caugh

Article Here

Supposedly, it's only to affect boards designed by NVIDIA
* EVGA
* BFG
* Biostar
* ECS
and they claim is fixed with a BETA BIOS P23

Nvidia's Link to problem

Introduction

HardOCP has been one of the biggest fans of the new nForce 680i chipset that you could find...until a couple of weeks ago when it became apparent to us that the data corruptions issues that were being talked about in the community were not some small isolated incidents. The fact of the matter is that I personally get email that refers to every product we have ever mentioned “sucking” in one way or another so we do our best to not jump the gun when we start seeing problems with a specific product. But when our own Daniel Dobrowolski, motherboard editor here at [H], started having severe issues, we knew something was wrong.

nForce 680i Problems & Answers

Cutting to the chase, NVIDIA released a BETA BIOS, the P23, this last weekend that is supposed to fix these data corruption issues. Here is what they had to say:

We posted a BETA BIOS last night which we believe resolves the SATA problem. eVGA team and others are working with customers since last night to have users validate the fix.

So we have been keeping our ear to the ground on this for the last 48 hours and this BIOS does in fact seem to fix some people's data issues. Some people have been installing the new BIOS without any immediate issues being solved, but I think the issue might lay at the feet of the end user. The ugly part of this easy BIOS update is the fact if you already corrupted data on your hard drive, this BIOS update is not going to fix that. So you will of course need to install a fresh operating system as well as reinstall all of your applications.

Please leave feedback about your P23 BIOS experiences in this forum thread.

Drew Henry Interview

Drew Henry, General Manager of MCP Business at NVIDIA, took time to answer some pointed questions that will hopefully give you the solid answers you need in reference to the nForce 680i problems.

Q: Concerning the 680i issues, what EXACTLY is the problem? BIOS, driver, MCP/chipset, or other hardware? Or combination thereof?

A: The problem that some users were experiencing related to signal timings on the motherboard. The new BIOS (P32) corrects this.

Q: Is the fix a workaround that compromises other technology on the motherboard?

A: Absolutely not. We should have caught this in our internal QA process. Unfortunately, we didn't, and we have adjusted internal processes to make sure that this does not happen again. As the manufacturer of these products, we need to be absolutely certain that the quality of the product that is brought to market is top-notch and that the experience that consumers will be receiving is nothing but positive.

Q: Are there “bad” 680i MCPs/chipsets out there?

A: No. This is not a MCP issue. It's really a board issue, and in this case, only with the motherboards that were designed and manufactured by NVIDIA. In fact, boards built by other manufacturers that use the same MCPs, including the ASUS Striker Extreme, ASUS P5N32-E SLI, and the ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboards, are not affected. When you hear of customer issues, your first thought is "how widespread is this," but it was pretty clear early on that it related only to the boards that we designed and manufactured. Talk about embarrassing!

Q: Why would the issue impact one board and not another on the same exact hardware/software install?

A: There are statistical variations in electrical characteristics between boards, which in some cases, can mask the underlying issue. The BIOS adjusts timing in a way that avoids this condition.

Q: Is this P23 BIOS going to cure all 680i users' SATA problems?

A: We believe so. We are releasing a BETA BIOS version so that customers can use it. We are completing our testing and will release a final version soon.

Q: So what do you have to say customers that have had to endure this frustrating set of events?

A: We are sorry they had to go through it. We've spent all of this time, money and engineering resources to make the best possible platform for Intel CPUs, and then just as our customers and partners are experiencing awesome success with the new NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI motherboard, this happens. The bottom line is that our QA process missed this condition. Once we identified the problem it became our top priority to solve it. The information provided by the forum members proved to be very valuable. They were really instrumental in helping us identify this issue and provide a solution.

The Bottom Line

Hopefully NVIDIA has solved this 680i data corruption issue that a small but vocal percentage of 680i users were experiencing. If fixing it was as “easy” as a BIOS fix, (P23 BIOS) we have to say NVIDIA dodged a bullet although they will of course have to absorb some collateral damage. This misstep by NVIDIA surely taints the nForce 680i to some extent, but that will fade if the product stays on track and exhibits the quality traits we have witnessed in our testing. My personal experiences with the nForce 680i have been stellar to say the least. I think knowing that NVIDIA has been done their best to stay on top of this, working 24/7 until they had a fix, says something about the support behind their products. We have seen chipset issues in the past from other companies that have never even responded to the issues, much less corrected them.

Thanks to Drew Henry and his team for solving these problems as well as taking time to personally answer our questions and keeping our readers informed. Kudos to Drew!

Last edited:
My dad and I have the board and the first thing we did was upgrade to the p23 bios. Neither one of us have had a lock up, drive error, or any problems with the board.

I also took off the NB and SB cooling assembly and cleaned of the 10 pounds of what looked like putty of the chips and put some AS5 on the chips. I can't believe how much crap was mashed all over the chips. It can't be good and most definitely would cause problems in the future. Here is a picture of what mine looked like. I guess mine looks pretty good compared to some of the others I have seen out there. To try and put this into perspective after cleaning all the putty off there was about enough to fill an entire tube of AS5.

100_0311.jpg

Good news is my board seems to be running great now though. I have had no issues :)

I dont know whats up with all these people who are having all these issues with their 680i boards.

I built my 680i rig last week (see specs in sig) and so far it's been running perfectly at 3.6GHz with damn near silent air cooling thanks to my Zalman 9700 cooler.

newcase4.jpg

Back